Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Honestly, I am even surprised that they allow any version of Windows on such a " Pro " machine.
It does not fit the image they are trying to create for this kind of machine.
( my humble brand marketing background ) :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If used in the commercial world Windows is a must have. Some clients insist on artwork being done on Windows machines alas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows is just about everywhere Harry. That includes the US government, State and local governments, school systems, legal, etc, etc. But I am surprised to learn that the new Mac Pro can only run Windows 8 and I guess 8.1. It might be because Windows 8 and 8.1 complies with the EFI standards.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But I am surprised to learn that the new Mac Pro can only run Windows 8 and I guess 8.1. It might be because Windows 8 and 8.1 complies with the EFI standards.

This is what surprised me as well. I know that some folks hate Windows 8…but like Windows 7.

Most newer Mac models can do either Windows 7 or Windows 8. So surprising the 2013 Mac Pro can only do Windows 8.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Windows is just about everywhere Harry. That includes the US government, State and local governments, school systems, legal, etc, etc. But I am surprised to learn that the new Mac Pro can only run Windows 8 and I guess 8.1. It might be because Windows 8 and 8.1 complies with the EFI standards.

Thats the same here in Aust to Charlie. It was only last year or the one before, that anyone with a Mac could access the ATO sit :( (Aust Tax Office) you HAD to have a version of IE which ran on a Windows machine. Even last year, I couldn't register a ABN (business Number) in Safari, FF or Chrome, I had to do it all on the Windows side of my MBP.

The quicker Governments learn the better they will be. My Fiancé Is a Teacher, and they just received a iPad 4 for every kid in the school, and they are having problems updating such a huge amount on the Windows Server. They don't even have the $3k Trolley that holds 100+ iPads that does updates automatically . . . Ive offered my service, but they have a IT person, that funnily enough only knows Windows, and doesn't even have a iPhone or any Apple product :(

C

chas_m

chscag is correct, it's because of the EFI. It no longer needs BIOS conversion (essentially what BootCamp did), so I suspect Apple is slowly moving to phase out Boot Camp entirely. Older Windows versions can still be handled more than gracefully enough with VM environments like Parallels et al.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
chscag is correct, it's because of the EFI. It no longer needs BIOS conversion (essentially what BootCamp did), so I suspect Apple is slowly moving to phase out Boot Camp entirely. Older Windows versions can still be handled more than gracefully enough with VM environments like Parallels et al.

Is that official?
I very much hope so! Windows in EFI for the future. Yes please :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's official as far as Microsoft is concerned. They've been long planning to go with EFI rather than use a BIOS, however, since many PC manufacturers are involved, and mostly equip their PCs with a working BIOS, it's going to take some time. Windows 8 and 8.1 do comply with the EFI standard set by Intel. Prior versions of Windows do not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
I'm hoping that when Apple decide to do something about support for EFI booting Windows they'll issue firmware updates (if required) for recent Macs.
Sound does not work in EFI Windows on my mid 2012 rMBP and yet other Macs with the same Cirus setup work fine. I don't think it can be a driver issue so the only thing left to my mind is a firmware difference - maybe.
That may be hoping for too much though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.