Camera comparison

Reaction score
Going on a trip with weight restrictions may not be able to take my SLR digital cameras will
iPhone
iPad
iPad Air
iPad mini
Camera with exterior lenses provide a satisfactory alternative for scenery pictures?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The latest iPhones have a very good camera on board which for the most part is better than some point and shoot cameras. However, taking your SLR would be best if possible.

OP
C
Reaction score
The latest iPhones have a very good camera on board which for the most part is better than some point and shoot cameras. However, taking your SLR would be best if possible.

I agree but airplane weight restrictions less the my cameras and lenses

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I agree but airplane weight restrictions less the my cameras and lenses

What sort of "dinosaur" SLR camera(s) are you working with that it is so heavy?...and how many lenses were you going to bring (seems to me one good "multi-purpose lens would be fine).:)

I have a Nikon D80...and I certainly wouldn't restrict myself to an iPhone camera if I didn't want to.

One SLR camera and one multi-purpose lens...and you're good to go!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
What sort of "dinosaur" SLR camera(s) are you working with that it is so heavy?...and how many lenses were you going to bring (seems to me one good "multi-purpose lens would be fine).:)

I have a Nikon D80...and I certainly wouldn't restrict myself to an iPhone camera if I didn't want to.

One SLR camera and one multi-purpose lens...and you're good to go!:)

- Nick

Nick
Two Cannon EOS 7D boxes with one Cannon 100 to 400 telephoto lens and a Tamron 18 to 250 and the allowed weight is 11 lb which needs to include my iPad toiletries and several days clothing. . While I may not need both boxes and the telephoto on this particular trip I am exploring my options..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Two Cannon EOS 7D boxes with one Cannon 100 to 400 telephoto lens and a Tamron 18 to 250 and the allowed weight is 11 lb which needs to include my iPad toiletries and several days clothing.

I think that the one detail you didn't tell us is…you're not flying on a major commercial airline (for at least part of your trip). An 11lb. weight restriction means that you're flying on a very very small aircraft…into a very "off the beaten path" location.

So when you said "weight restrictions" initially…I don't think too many of us were imagining 11lbs for EVERYTHING.;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I think that the one detail you didn't tell us is…you're not flying on a major commercial airline (for at least part of your trip). An 11lb. weight restriction means that you're flying on a very very small aircraft…into a very "off the beaten path" location.

So when you said "weight restrictions" initially…I don't think too many of us were imagining 11lbs for EVERYTHING.;)

- Nick

Sorry didn't think that was necessary. On two previous trips Air New Zealand 15lb and Air South South Africa 18lb carry on which allowed personal items such as a lap top in addition I felt challenged and just made it in both cases while being under in checked baggage . Unfortunately the world is such that certain things need to be carried on if a traveler wants to be sure they arrive with him. That includes charging and ancillary paraphernalia as well. as personal needs items and meds which can't be checked. While I managed both previous instances I don't think I could handle eleven so I wanted to know how well Apples cameras stacked up. Not having any experience with add on lenses I thought the request was a reasonable one maybe I was wrong.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not seen anyone here talk about Add on lenses for the iphone. Maybe a photography site might have more info on such lenses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I personally would not use "add on" lens for a iPhone or iAnything. But thats me..

Also check with the airlines, they normally have special rules for cameras. Which, allow you with more weight in your camera bag.

That said. For travel you only need two lens. For example I am carrying my 17-70 and 75-300 with me next week to Taiwan. But I have a Dolica DK10 backpack. Its small, verisitile and protective of my camera and gear. It can carry camera and 3 lens with no problem, plus my battery grip, two remotes, cleaning gear, external HDD, cards, dozen filters or so and lens hoods, plus more. Still be under weight for camera equipment. Airlines understand this as no one unless they have a pelican case is going to check-in 10k in camera gear and the airlines doesn't want to have to pay for broken camera gear. So they allow more weight.. Also most males dont know this, but you can have TWO carry on bags. Camera Bad, Laptop or if you female one of those two and a purse.

Reaction score
add on lenses iPhone etc

I am amazed that of all the responses only one person had the honesty to put his hand up and attempt to address the question - but at least he did address the question in saying "I do not know" and then helpfully went onto to say what he kindly thought MIGHT be of help

Everyone else just effectively ignored the question altogether effectively saying that is a daft question In other words you all felt the questioner was daft and when on to tell him things he probably knew already without even having the honesty to day "I do not know"

One person even had the in my view impertinence today that he would not use an add on - thereby saying no body else should! I do not use many things but I respect that others want to

And as it happens I came on line to see the answer to the question Of course an add on to an iPhone will never equal a dedicated camera No one thinks it will BUt for some of us there are times we have no option but to rely on out iPhone There are many many reasons for this So a bit more respect for people who ask questions? I am professional film maker and have to rely on my iPhone as a god send frequently and an add on lens is just what I need

I cannot answer the question either I am afraid but there was a good review of such things in MacUser here in UK a while ago - maybe mid 2013 or earlier There may have been updates

And if anyone does come up with an informative answer please do let me know

Many thanks

deryck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
The OP stated he "may" not be able to take his DSLR and enquired whether an add on lens for iPhone / iPad was a worthy deputy for landscape photography - that's the way I read the post anyway.

Therefore any replies are by necessity going to consist of opinion and from what I have read are certainly not condescending in any way but simply offering that personal opinion. Add on lenses are very much in their infancy and it's unlikely many on here have any experience of them. For that reason, suggesting that the OP takes whatever measure he can to take all or some of his existing camera kit instead is a valid opinion.

Who'd have thought it - opinions rife on an internet message board.

However in an attempt to redress the balance and try to help the OP further, there is such a lens available from Sony and a review can be found here:

Review: Sony's Cyber-shot QX10 wireless camera lens for iPhone

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
nickyr, Thanks for helping the OP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am amazed that of all the responses only one person had the honesty to put his hand up and attempt to address the question - but at least he did address the question in saying "I do not know" and then helpfully went onto to say what he kindly thought MIGHT be of help

A little bit of forum etiquette is needed here. Your reply certainly does not help or add anything to this discussion except to criticize others. These forums are volunteer peer to peer. If you're expecting expert advice or what "you" consider to be helpful advice from each reply, that's what paid technical support is for.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with you that the criticism part was wrong but the OP did ask about Lenses for an iPhone or iPad and no one did address his question.

I would have but no nothing about the subject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I agree with you that the criticism part was wrong but the OP did ask about Lenses for an iPhone or iPad and no one did address his question.

I would have but no nothing about the subject.

I gave what little knowledge I could about them is that most people in the photo world look at them as en expensive gimmick, thus I would never use them. So I tried to help out on the reason he wanted to go with a iPhone.. :| But IDK, figured some info was better then just ignoring him.. hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have not seen anyone here talk about Add on lenses for the iphone. Maybe a photography site might have more info on such lenses.

To answer this, I have and love the Olloclip, and it takes great photos, with Fisheye, Magnifying and normal. Cant beat it IMO.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Brent....

That clip on lens ad says it's only for the iPhone 4s. Do you know if it will also work on the 5 series? (5c, 5s) The price is not bad for a four in one lens add on. ($89.95)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey Brent....

That clip on lens ad says it's only for the iPhone 4s. Do you know if it will also work on the 5 series? (5c, 5s) The price is not bad for a four in one lens add on. ($89.95)

Fits quite well on the iPhone 5 mate. the one I have is for the iPhone 5 and they include a slip in attachment to fit the iPods latest Gen. If you goto Olloclip site you can get them direct. Remembering those prices were Aust prices too, they will be cheaper in the US.
As you can see it fits on my iPhone5.

M5IfG1b.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Brent. I'm not much of a photographer so being able to use my iPhone instead of another camera is convenient for me. The clip on lens will add to the usefulness of the iPhone camera.

Reaction score
camera vs clothes

Are you crazy? Go w less clothes. You'll so regret it if you great miss pictures on this once in a lifetime trip. Iphone takes great pics but there are limitations in focusing and exposure. Take your camera. Try to leave larger lens at home.
claudia

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.