Looming threat of viruses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I have added some interesting links in my blog for those who are interested in mac security .

I am not intending to discourage anyone using Mac. After all it is one of the most secure OS available today. But be aware

Happy reading!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Intresting. By the way, nice design on the site, simple yet classic.

OP
novicew
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Jabjabs said:
Intresting. By the way, nice design on the site, simple yet classic.

Thank you. I am glad that you liked it.

B

bfx

I've noticed a few areas here where different members have posted workarounds and tips to avoid some of the weaknesses.

Is there a sticky where these can be centrally located for quick reference?

bfx

M

MJGUK

Really nice site there bud.

Although I just want to note that my own take on the current situaton ref 'viruses' and OS X is a tad cynical.
Well I say this because, so far we've had about 3 'things'.....almost too weak to be called 'viruses', which have ever hit our platform, 2 out of 3 have been patched already.
In my opinion, this is a great example of the media causing a stir.
It seems to me that the media just cannot wait to scream 'omgz OS X has a virus !1' and they are taking any chance they can get to do this, and milking it for all it is worth.

Sure maybe we will get the odd virus now and then, it could happen, but hackers motives have not changed over the last week, there is still nothing to be gained from hacking OS X and I'm pretty sure that once this quietens down a bit, we will be back to good, old '0 Viruses' OS X :p

Reaction score
It’s all a beat up; I have Windows as well as Mac OSX.

I have never had a virus on my Windows PC since 99 when I got the 7 dwarfs virus and I don’t have Anti Virus.

If u knows what you’re doing you will never get a virus.

Makes me laugh when people mention Viruses as a reason to get Mac OSX, because only ignorant fools get viruses, if you don’t where a condom you will get a STD, innit!!

OP
novicew
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just added some workaround here for anyone interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
The thing that alot of people seam to forget is that while the last few attempts of virus may not of had a payload/attack and required user intervention, this is what virus writters do to test the waters. Send out sterile programs and see how they spread. The fact that there is anything like this means that a real virus could potentially be in the works... or it could be nothing more than someone proving a point, we don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i agree that OS X is the most malware free the OS's out there, but it is not invulnerable simply because it is based on UNIX. it is fun to go back through and read comments from people here about OSX never having a virus and that whomever did so would just do it for publicity and all the hoolpa that goes with being the first.

now that it has happened, however lame the malware is, it is amusing to see folks decry the fact as mere publicity and nothing more. duh! :biohazard it is a simple warning shot across the bow of OSX that it is not invulnerable anymore. i'm not worried about it, but i have been a windows user for years so malware doesn't really faze me anymore. :headphone keep the system protected and if something does go amiss, reload and redo from backups. simple. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Nice site, I like the feel of it. It's nice to read up on how to secure your mac as opposed to "the sky is falling the sky is falling" and that being it. It'd be nice if more areas reported on how to make/keep your mac secure, rather than just repeating the news of malware for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
applepissue said:
It’s all a beat up; I have Windows as well as Mac OSX.

I have never had a virus on my Windows PC since 99 when I got the 7 dwarfs virus and I don’t have Anti Virus.

If u knows what you’re doing you will never get a virus.

Makes me laugh when people mention Viruses as a reason to get Mac OSX, because only ignorant fools get viruses, if you don’t where a condom you will get a STD, innit!!

How you know ya not got viruses if you have nothing to check for them? And people aren't really ignorant if they get a virus, some can't help it as its as easy as connecting to the internet to get a virus (such as msblast back in 2003)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
applepissue said:
...cut...
I have never had a virus on my Windows PC since 99.
...cut...
That is hard to belive. I have to reformat my windows pc every 2 weeks because of some virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
macmini3399 said:
That is hard to belive. I have to reformat my windows pc every 2 weeks because of some virus.

I had windows for 4 years and never had a virus. Spyware sure, but never a virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
munch said:
I had windows for 4 years and never had a virus. Spyware sure, but never a virus.

i got on my windows machine

no less than 20 VIRUSES and that was just in about 3 months. all of my antivirus was up to date i had all the programs for it but i still had 20

so im surpised

i love my :mac:

Reaction score
You can still scan your computer with out having a antivirus installed.

You have that many viruses?? well dont go to dodgy sites, dont download stuff!!

if you have Windows and your firewall up to date.

You can not have a problem, unless your a fool and open email attachments or got to dodgy sites and allow their active X or click on one of their dodgy pop up windows, also if you download dodgy stuff.

It's not rocket science, have you ever listened to the Twit Podcast, they were saying the same thing like" when was the last time the ever had a virus on windows" and they were saying " you dont need a antivirus if you know what your doing" and that is so true.

The fact is you have to install the virus yourself

Reaction score
macmini3399 said:

I'm sorry but If you have to re-format your PC every two weeks from a virus you're doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
applepissue said:
You can still scan your computer with out having a antivirus installed.

You have that many viruses?? well dont go to dodgy sites, dont download stuff!!

if you have Windows and your firewall up to date.

You can not have a problem, unless your a fool and open email attachments or got to dodgy sites and allow their active X or click on one of their dodgy pop up windows, also if you download dodgy stuff.

It's not rocket science, have you ever listened to the Twit Podcast, they were saying the same thing like" when was the last time the ever had a virus on windows" and they were saying " you dont need a antivirus if you know what your doing" and that is so true.

The fact is you have to install the virus yourself

Totally agree. I've never had a virus or spyware and I don't run anti-virus software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
macmini3399 said:

You sure it's a virus? I've noticed many times that non-tech people assume any problem they experience is because of a virus-- I remember on a PDA forum that one guy was insisting he was having virus problems with his PDA, even the there aren't any viruses effecting the one he had.

You could be having some sort of hardware incompatibility problem or problems with drivers. You shouldn't "have to reformat" your computer at all if it is just a virus/spyware issue. I take care of quite a number of computers at work with no reformats having ever been done, and no virus or spyware problems at all. Make sure you have your anti-virus program going 24/7. Avast! provides a good free one. Install windows defender from microsoft, which is also free, to protect from spyware. Stay off the dodgy warez and pr0n sites. If you take these simple precautions (and after initial setup they require almost no time to use), you should have next to zero problem with viruses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.