Upgrading from 2011 Macbook Pro 13" i7

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum here. I recently spilled coffee on my 2011 macbook pro and I took it to the apple store and I was told it was cheaper to buy a new one, Funny thing is though when its plugged in and charging It works absolutely fine. Unplugged however it is a slow laggy headache. So any info on this would be great.

But Anyway I am looking to upgrade and I was looking for some information/advice on what kind of difference in performance I would see between my old macbook and upgrading to something like an i7 MBA? My budget is really around $1200.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey all, new to the forum here. I recently spilled coffee on my 2011 macbook pro and I took it to the apple store and I was told it was cheaper to buy a new one, Funny thing is though when its plugged in and charging It works absolutely fine. Unplugged however it is a slow laggy headache. So any info on this would be great.

Hard to say why the computer works ok plugged in...but slow when on battery power. Liquid spills can be so unpredictable (hard to say what was actually affected/damaged).

But Anyway I am looking to upgrade and I was looking for some information/advice on what kind of difference in performance I would see between my old macbook and upgrading to something like an i7 MBA? My budget is really around $1200.

Probably need a bit more spec info on your current 2011 MBP. But if your question is really...should you upgrade a 2013 MBA from the i5 cpu to the i7 cpu for an extra $150...the benchmark scores I saw show that it's a pretty decent speed increase for $150.:)

As far as the difference between your 2011 MBP and a new MBA. Does it really matter??;) Sounds like you need a new computer either way...especially if you want decent portable performance (unplugged).:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Well yes the new computer is a must! I guess what I'm asking is when considering performance do benchmarks tell the whole story? I am considering the MBA with 1.7ghz i7 with 4gb ram vs the Base MBP w/ retina. Any opinions on which I should go with? Computer will be for personal/school use and other than netflix/HBOGO the most complicated thing I will be doing on it are some Microsoft office applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would ask this have you gone to the store and looked at both IMO the retina display is worth it but I view a lot of photo's and video.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Retina displays are definitely superior. The problem I have with any retina display machine that Apple sells is its non upgradeable status. Of course the MBA is really no different so I suppose if the OP has the extra cash on hand, he may as well go for it. My choice would be the standard (still offered) 13" fully upgradeable MacBook Pro.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess what I'm asking is when considering performance do benchmarks tell the whole story?

I think that they're a fairly accurate representation of the relative difference between two computers. Benchmark scores are really the best you can do...since everyone's usage patterns are different.

I am considering the MBA with 1.7ghz i7 with 4gb ram vs the Base MBP w/ retina.

I'm not really that big of a fan of the retina MacBook Pro's...but...I think that the base retina MacBook Pro is a better overall deal compared to the MacBook Air. The MacBook Pro is a newer model, and has the better/faster Iris graphics.

Any opinions on which I should go with? Computer will be for personal/school use and other than netflix/HBOGO the most complicated thing I will be doing on it are some Microsoft office applications.

Either computer will get the job done...no problem.

One thing I would recommend (if you can afford it)...with either computer...get the 8gig ram upgrade for the extra $100. Ram cannot be upgraded later...and I think 4gig of ram is going to get tighter & tighter as time goes on.

Also be careful about the amount of storage. Each of these computers has 128gig of storage. For many folks...that's not enough. Many folks have 500gig, 750gig, and larger HD's. But of course we are also talking traditional rotating HD's vs. SSD's or flash storage (which is more expensive).

So I would say lean towards the MacBook Pro (better graphics hardware), seriously consider an 8gig ram upgrade, and think if 128 of onboard storage is enough for you.

Neither ram or storage can be upgraded. If I had to do one or the other...I would get the ram. You can always "off-load" items from the computers internal storage to an external if necessary.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Don't forget to check Apple's refurbished area. There might be something there that meets your needs.:)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Nick but I would rather splurge on something new. The Pro w/Retina Seems to be the general consensus. Would anyone happen to know if it is available at a student discount? I know the air has a $50 price drop for students, not so sure on the Pro. Also Storage isn't really an issue, I think I only used about 50GB of data in 3 years on my old MBP

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip Nick but I would rather splurge on something new.

The refurbished model are like new. Do a search here on Mac-Forums…and you will find that 95%+ of folks responding will attest to that fact.:)

Of course these can be one generation older…so the latest new units would be "newer" in terms of the latest hardware. And that's ok too.:)

But sometimes you can save $200-$300 on a nicely equipped refurbished computer.:)

Good to hear you will be ok with 128gig of storage. I'm like you…I generally don't need a lot of "on board" storage. Definitely consider the 8gig ram upgrade for $100. That's actually a pretty good price…and you certainly won't regret it if you intend on keeping the computer for a while. It can always help with resale as well.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
After looking at various benchmarks and based on the fact that i really liked my old MBP, I am going to go with a new 13" MBP w/ retina. I'm also going to get the 2.6 ghz processor with 8gb ram. On Apples Website the total comes aout to about $1400. Is this the best price I can get with that particular setup? Would a local applestore sell them cheaper? I am a student btw.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would a local applestore sell them cheaper? I am a student btw.

Local Apple Stores pricing is exactly the same. Also most authorized Apple resellers hold to the same price line. You may be eligible for a special discount (military exchange or student bookstores).

C

chas_m

After looking at various benchmarks and based on the fact that i really liked my old MBP, I am going to go with a new 13" MBP w/ retina. I'm also going to get the 2.6 ghz processor with 8gb ram. On Apples Website the total comes aout to about $1400.

Apple doesn't sell a new Retina MBP at 2.6GHz and 8GB RAM for $1,400. Even counting a $100 student discount, that would be $1,700 on the US website ($1,800 retail).

So if you're getting one for $1,400 directly from Apple, I'd jump all over that. But I'd double-check that deal, it sounds too good to be true.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Member chas_m is correct. Unless you're referring to another currency or you're confused over which MacBook Pro you looked at, there is no way you can buy what you quoted for the price you stated.

M

MacInWin

I'll say +1 for the refurb approach. Great savings on essentially factory restored gear.

OP
A
Reaction score
Here ya go Cart - Apple Store for Education (U.S.)

Based on the benchmarks it seems that newer computers (even if the same model) always perform better. Is there anyway I can buy a mac and guarantee I am getting the newest model? Like a ate 2013 or early '14 if those exist?
/
Hope that clears up the price confusion. So should I be jumping all over that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anyway I can buy a mac and guarantee I am getting the newest model? Like a ate 2013 or early '14 if those exist?

I'm not 100% what you're asking or why you're asking it...but anything currently being sold at the Apple Store is the latest model (excluding the refurbished section).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm asking if apple still has early to mid 2013 MPBs in stock do they still ship them out? I would be buying online and based on the benchmarks the Late '13s perform better and that's what I would want to get if I'm paying that much money for a computer. - Hope that cleared up any confusion

Also did my previous post clear up the confusion about the Macbook I am looking at? Should I take advantage of that price?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm asking if apple still has early to mid 210313 MPBs in stock do they still ship them out? I would be buying online and based on the benchmarks the Late '13s perform better and that's what I would want to get if I'm paying that much money for a computer. - Hope that cleared up any confusion

Any older models are sold via the refurbished area ONLY. What is seen at the "main" area of the store at Apple.com…are ALWAY'S the most current models.

If you wanted something older…than you need to look in the refurbished area. But configurations & quantities will vary…and some times vary by the hour/day.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.