avast scan found this. what does it mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
it listed it as an warning and not as a virus. what does it mean?
the bootroot loader is what had me concerned. anything to worry about?

<string>Error 42110 The file is a decompression bomb</string>
<key>Path</key>
<string>/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MKDrivers.bundle/Contents/Resources/bootroot.loader|>bootroot.loader.dmg</string>

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apart from the fact that you shouldn't be running an anti-virus on a Mac. That file is part of the OS and should not be messed with..

If you are worried about sharing with Windows users or what have you, I'd recommend using a on-demand virus scanner like ClamXav on a specific device/folder as opposed to running it on all folders on your Mac..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Any particular reason you're scanning your machine?

As for your question, it's just a highly compressed archive. They can be used to disable AV software but in this case, you can ignore it (see here, here, here).

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you saying I don't need to use anti virus protection on the mac? if that is the case why do they make AV programs for mac? their not making money from the free ones so why do they bother even making them if macs don't need them?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, I'm saying that you don't need an anti-virus software on your Mac, there aren't any viruses in the wild for OS X. Additionally, with some prudent steps on your part about the types of apps you install and how you go about it, you can be perfectly safe from all malware..

I switched over to a Mac back in 2009 and have not any run anything on my Macs and they've been fine.

I absolutely run something on my Windows VMs because you just have to..

As far as why there are apps out there, the hope is that enough people are scared about viruses for Windows and will in turn purchase something for OS X, whether they need it or not..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As far as I know their is no virus in the wild for the current Mac OS so my question would be why would you need an app to guard against something that does not exist.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
are you saying I don't need to use anti virus protection on the mac? if that is the case why do they make AV programs for mac? their not making money from the free ones so why do they bother even making them if macs don't need them?

Are you saying that there has never been a product made that had no purpose? Have you ever heard of salesman selling "snake oil"?;)

The virus threat of Windows computers versus Macintosh computers is completely completely different (MUCH greater on Windows computers). So folks that produce anti-virus products for Mac's would LOVE if Mac-Users felt like the virus threat on a Mac was the SAME as it is on Windows computers.

The fact is there is very very little threat of virus's on Mac's.

Before we "rehash" everything that was posted/discussed in a recent thread...please give this a read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/security-awareness/308337-best-antivirus-mac.html

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@macgig

There are folks who are required by either their employer or school to run an AV program on their Mac. And that's perfectly understandable since Macs which may be on the same network as PCs can pass a PC type virus to the network even though the Mac can not be infected.

Think about the story of "Typhoid Mary" who was a carrier of the virus although could not be infected by it.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive always used the free AV programs because its offered since getting my first mac in 1990 or so. its not hurting anything having it. I see no performance problems with having it. guess I'm a little over paranoid and don't trust everything I read on the internet... an article from macworld dated 2008 says Macs don't need AV protection. An article on about.com says you should have it. so 22 years I'm sure not sure which side is "right" on this issue. I will check out that link though thanks. :)

this article says I should have it. Do Macs need anti-virus protection?

22 years and I'm still as confused as ever as to who is right. I guess if I use it and it's not needed, then no harm is done. I have not lost anything by having it on here.

and then there is this: Mac OS X Report: Virus Infects 600,000 Computers - ABC News

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ive always used the free AV programs because its offered since getting my first mac in 1990 or so. its not hurting anything having it. I see no performance problems with having it. guess I'm a little over paranoid and don't trust everything I read on the internet... an article from macworld dated 2008 says Macs don't need AV protection. An article on about.com says you should have it. so 22 years I'm sure not sure which side is "right" on this issue. I will check out that link though thanks. :)

this article says I should have it. Do Macs need anti-virus protection?

22 years and I'm still as confused as ever as to who is right. I guess if I use it and it's not needed, then no harm is done. I have not lost anything by having it on here.

and then there is this: Mac OS X Report: Virus Infects 600,000 Computers - ABC News

All OS's are susceptible to Trojan's and Malware if then end user is not careful with what they are giving permission to and that was a Trojan not a Virus not the same by definition.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
its not hurting anything having it. I see no performance problems with having it.

Actually this is one of the problems with many AV programs…they use system resources (running & scanning in the background)…thus they can slow down the computer.

We have many a thread where a member is complaining about their Mac being slow. One of the questions we ask is…are you running AV software? If they say yes...we say uninstall it. Then their Mac is faster…and the member is much happier.:)

If you read the link that I included above…you would have read the (this was covered there).:)

Basically…the slow-downs caused by the AV software outweigh the benefit of having AV software active & constantly scanning for virus's that don't exist.

For the most part…for 22 years…you haven't gotten a virus…because you've basically installed AV software & scanning for virus's that don't exist. And since about 2001 with the release of OS X…the virus situation has been even better. So for the last 13 years…there has been even less threats from virus's (OS X is more secure).

Of course I'm not saying that Mac's are 100% immune to virus's. But for the last 13 years of OS X…the virus threat situation on Mac's has not been a problem. And when AV software can use up system resources (and slow down the computer)…with no virus threat…there's no need to deal with computer slowdowns running AV software.

Again…PLEASE READ THE LINK THAT I POSTED ABOVE! All of this was ALREADY covered in that thread.:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's your simple answer - if it doesn't bother you, then keep it around. Do what's right for you, not what's right for us. After all, it's your machine.

Reaction score
rootbootloader

Yes there is plenty to worry about. I have been infected with a Malware that uses that file to launch a very devious series of infection on my MacPro you definitely need to get your system cleaned or you will be sending out all the in formation on your box. To check if is there go to System Preferences> Users & Groups> Login Options> Network Account Server > Join (you will be prompted for your password a couple of time during you trip to this) Open Directory Utility (again password) at the top of that page click on the Directory utility and then you will see a list of that directory, if you are infected the first thing in the list is the AMaViS daemon which is the beast responsible for sending out your info. I have had this problem for over 5 months now and still can not get a clean system.

I have reinstalled Mavericks over reformatted discs and still this reinfects me. I have 6 drives connected including ma SSD startup Disc 120Gigs. At the moment I am currently working to get it out with Apple but this is the worst I have ever encountered. Have been an Apple reseller and still running my own business closely connected with the Computer industry the problems are extremely dangerous.

You may like to take your computer to an Apple store and see if you can possibly get a clean system to install, if you down load a fresh copy from Apple you will find that this Malware will show up as an Issue when you scan (in Sophos) however when you install you will be reinfected with many dDaemons that will float your info.

Should you wish to inspect your logs system install will show you how it obtained your password in nothing flat. Then inspect the Talagent log and this will inflame you even more. I am not over emphasising the damage that this Malware will inflict upon you.

Sorry about the grammar but I have just been getting the info down to give you a heads up.

I will closely watch this forum for any developments. Good luck and I hope its not too late for your Mac.
At this stage there is no way I can see to expunge this software and it is not for the want of trying.

Here is a copy of part of the Talagent log that will show you that this version of AMaVis has been corrupted and is used to bilk your system of as much info as it can!

Time Bundle ID Status Comment
0.000 - - TALagent Started (system uptime: 2536.90 sec)
0.009 - - Liveness: 0 -> 1 (run_as_server)
0.032 - - Successfully read encryption key from keychain in 0.022438 seconds
0.057 - - Refusing connection from pid 518 (app was (null))
16.298 - - Liveness: 1 -> 0 (__run_as_server_block_invoke)
16.298 - - Exiting out of boredom

I have watched this corrupted software send my banking details to who ever and it has been a rather costly process. The software has been corrupted and is not an easy thing to remove.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
AMaViS is a part of OS X Server installation and why you are not going to get rid of it by clean installing - because a clean install will install it. It is not malware. It has been a part of OS X server since at least 10.4, not really sure how far back it goes.

AMaViS stands for "A Mail Virus Scanner" and is used in Unix systems as an interface between mail servers (MTAs) and mail scanners (spam filters, like SpamAssasin - or Sophos in your specific case).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.