File permissions

Reaction score
Evening all

I have just got my mac and set it up as i like. I have a number of my photos on an external hard drive (mainly RAW files but some JPEG's and TIFF files).

I have installed lightroom and photoshop on my new mac but I am having some issues with file permissions.

All the photos are read only so when moving between lightroom and photoshop I am unable to save them due to permissions issues.

I have been reading about how to change the permissions but I don't seem to have the option to do so.

I am on OSX 10.9.2

Appreciate any help!

Darren

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay I may be mistaken but the reason I am having problems maybe because the external hard drive is NTFS.

OSX can only read NTFS so presumably that is why I cannot change the permission?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What format is your external hard drive using? And tell us how you're trying to change file permissions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I just read your second post. Yes that's right, if the external hard drive is formatted to NTFS, everything on it will be read only. You can't change those permissions because it also involves ownership. Try this:

Copy one photo from the external hard drive to your Mac and then right click on the file. Select get info. Go all the way down to the bottom and change the read only to read and write for yourself. Do not change anything else. Let us know if that works.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay.

I copied the contents of my external hard drive to my internal SSD (i had enough space!). I then used Disk Utility to format the external hard drive to Mac OS extended journaling then copied the photos back across.

Loaded lightroom and relocated the folder structure.

All seems fine now as I have read and write access.

Thanks to all.

Darren

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.