connecting games consoles to imac?

K

killy3000

Thinking of switching from PC to an iMac after being very impressed by my housemates new iMac. I couldn't believe how slick it was compared to Windows!

However, i am also thinking of getting an xbox360 and was wondering if it would be possible to connect the xbox to an iMac and play games in hi-def to sidestep the need to buy an HDTV as well?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
EDIT-XTREEM said:
you can plug in a cable singal or a game consol with the http://elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv500 (it is high def!)

One problem I read about in my research of DVR equipment was that external boxes are supposed to have a 1 to 5 second display delay from the source to the screen (which would make gaming difficult). I don't know if it affects all capture devices, so make sure to do your research before purchasing anything for gaming.

Reaction score
This has been discussed a lot, and I too have searched about this a long time. My conclusion is, sadly, that at this point, TV and Mac are not coming together yet i a usable way. I haven't seen a Mac show me TV as good as a real tV does. And the delay makes consoles useless, there are some boxes from Elgato that have low latency and thus can be used with consoles. But I feel that we haven't reached the Media Center Age yet on Macs, sadly. Even Windows Media Centr's TV quality is mediocre.

OP
K

killy3000

hmm thanks for the input guys, i guess i have some thinking to do then.

Andy

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
Hi there I have got a bog standard analogue eyetv the lag is minium ( you wont really notice it) and I have got my xbox 360 and ps2 pluged into it and works fine. Just nake sure you do not gt one with an mpeg encoder built in as then lag is really unplayable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.