New Here and NEW Refurb! =)

Reaction score
I am new here but figured I'd introduce myself here. =) I just ordered the below refurb from apple.com. This will likely be my last mbp ordered if apple continues in the direction they are headed.

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel i7
Originally released June 2012
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 resolution
8GB (2 x 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

I'm going to use it for an upcoming deployment and upon return upgrade the hd to crucial 480gb ssd, move the stock hd to the optical drive area, and the ram to crucial 16gb. I'm also looking at purchasing a couple 23" dell ultra sharp monitors. I do graphic design on the side and will be starting my masters in instructional design.

Anyone else have this system? Feedback? I am upgrading from a 2008 mbp, which I gave to my 13 year old son...he was very happy. =)

Does anyone have recommendations for the best skin/shell for protection against dust?:Cool:;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just put that same Crucial SSD in a 2008 MB Pro and the performance difference is tremendous. Boot time was cut from about 1 minute 10 seconds to about 38 seconds. Thats from power up to a useable desktop. I suspect you'll see similar drops in boot time. The folks at Other World Computing have some info on the speed difference for various Mac models.

The Data Doubler bracket used to move the hard drive to the DVD bay is relatively easy to install and includes a well-done booklet describing the steps

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why last? These MacBook Pros are *incredible* and just getting more so.

I think he's referring to the fact that they're no longer user upgradeable and are becoming "throw away MacBook Pros". I refer you to the thread that cwa107 started regarding that fact which I believe you've already read through.

OP
B
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY the reason. And that was BEFORE I read the referenced thread. ;D

I think he's referring to the fact that they're no longer user upgradeable and are becoming "throw away MacBook Pros". I refer you to the thread that cwa107 started regarding that fact which I believe you've already read through.

OP
B
Reaction score
I really want to order the SSD and RAM now but I must hold myself back until after I pay it off, at least. ha haa ;D

I'm still waiting for Apple to change status to shipped, still "Processing"! grrr :Angry: As soon as I receive it, I'm very curious to see how good this Hi-Res, anti-glare screen looks. If I don't like it, I'll return the mbp, grind my teeth and load up my 2008 model. :)

I just put that same Crucial SSD in a 2008 MB Pro and the performance difference is tremendous. Boot time was cut from about 1 minute 10 seconds to about 38 seconds. Thats from power up to a useable desktop. I suspect you'll see similar drops in boot time. The folks at Other World Computing have some info on the speed difference for various Mac models.

The Data Doubler bracket used to move the hard drive to the DVD bay is relatively easy to install and includes a well-done booklet describing the steps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I really want to order the SSD and RAM now but I must hold myself back until after I pay it off, at least. ha haa ;D

I'm still waiting for Apple to change status to shipped, still "Processing"! grrr :Angry: As soon as I receive it, I'm very curious to see how good this Hi-Res, anti-glare screen looks. If I don't like it, I'll return the mbp, grind my teeth and load up my 2008 model. :)

IMO, the anti-glare is awesome. I had a 17" MBP years ago with the anti-glare and loved it. I wish I still had one at times.

Enjoy your last Mac, as Apple surely isn't going to change directions at this point in the game. ;D

OP
B
Reaction score
Agreed! My next will likely be some sort of Hackintosh laptop. ;D

IMO, the anti-glare is awesome. I had a 17" MBP years ago with the anti-glare and loved it. I wish I still had one at times.

Enjoy your last Mac, as Apple surely isn't going to change directions at this point in the game. ;D

OP
B
Reaction score
I received my refurbed Mac today! Yay, Apple overnighted it without me choosing the expidited option. Nice. =) Couple of things right off the bat...

I Do NOT like the new keyboard!! Feels very cheaply made. My fingers don't roll over it as smoothly as the older keyboards.

Also, battery count was 5, right out of the box, I will assume this is due to apple testing etc.

Everything else about it I like, especially the hi-res matte screen! BUT the keyboard I really dislike...maybe even to the point of returning the mbp and just upgrading my old '08 model. I'm going to give it a day to decide.

What did others think that have this or similiar model mbp?

C

chas_m

You can add a USB or BT keyboard for under $30. Sending back a brand new specced-out MBP because you don't like the keyboard is like sending your newly-adopted child back to the orphange because his red hair doesn't quite match his sibling's, if you ask me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
BUT the keyboard I really dislike...maybe even to the point of returning the mbp and just upgrading my old '08 model. I'm going to give it a day to decide.

What did others think that have this or similiar model mbp?

If you're old MBP has the older "silver" keyboard...yes the newer "chicklet" style keys are different. But personally...I've had no trouble adjusting to them.

The newer style keyboard has been around since late 2008 when the Unibody models were released (about 5.5 years at this point)...so this style keyboard is certainly not something new. And this feature is certainly something that could have been checked out before buying.

But if it really bugs you...just return it...and remain in a 2008 MBP "stasis-pod".;)

- Nick

p.s. Even the white/black MacBooks had the chicklet-style keyboard since they were first introduced in 2006.

OP
B
Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback but I completely disagree. If I'm paying $2k for a laptop, I shouldn't be forced to buy a separate keyboard to make up for a subpar product.

Also, an adopted child with red hair as opposed to "blonde" hair is a poor example. That is merely a difference in color, not quality. IE: I never said the keys bothered me because they are black, as opposed to silver. :Mischievous:

IMO I think Apple is aiming more toward form over function at this point. While the newer mbp's are thinner and lighter, their ergonomics have decreased in quality.

You can add a USB or BT keyboard for under $30. Sending back a brand new specced-out MBP because you don't like the keyboard is like sending your newly-adopted child back to the orphange because his red hair doesn't quite match his sibling's, if you ask me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.