Changing an automatic apple-ID fill-in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 MacBook Pro, OSX 10, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB
I recently purchased an almost brand-new MacBook Pro laptop and **thought** I'd changed all of the Names, ID codes and passwords to reflect my preferences and security protocols and received a request for an update to software via Apple. However, when prompted to access the update a pop-up box comes up with the prior owner's Apple ID (which I cannot seem to change) along with his password, which I of course do not know. I *have* my own Apple ID but can't plug it in and hence, cannot update my Mac. Help!
Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Until the drive is wiped and has a clean install of OS X put on it, all software from Apple that was on the machine belongs to the Apple ID that was used to register/purchase it. All Apple software since 10.7 belongs to the individual, not the machine. Software cannot be moved between Apple IDs.

OP
Songgirl222
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I would imagine it's off to Apple I go. Thank you! :|

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not necessarily. You can do the wipe and clean install yourself. Give these directions a look see. In essence you download a copy of OS X to the hard drive before wiping the drive, make a boot disc from a flash drive, then run the installer from the flash drive. Don't start the installation before making the flash drive or the installer will get deleted when done).

The directions linked above are for Mavericks but the procedure should work for Lion or Mountain Lion.

OP
Songgirl222
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A rip in the time-space continuum might be kind of cool...:Cool:
Oooh, dinosaurs!

C

chas_m

dino1.jpg

OP
Songgirl222
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh how I miss Rory and his Dad, Brian (aka Mr. Weasley) sigh... ;D

C

chas_m

Amen! Just saw Arthur Darvill (Rory) last weekend at the Gallifrey convention in LA ... let me see if I have a pic ...

Darvill-Gally2014-wm.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.