new with iCloud

Reaction score
Awhile back I bought an ebook and am able to view it on my Mac Pro and iPad . Last week I bought another book but it was from Amazon . There was a question asked if I wanted the iCloud version. I have never used iCloud as of yet so I got the regular version. But I am unable to view this book as I was the other . So now my question is ; Is it possible to drag and drop the book to iCloud and be able to view it on my iPad?
I used kindle for the first book. GEEZ this is too confusing . Kindle; iCloud ; Mac Pro; iPad and a host of other crap !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you buy the Kindle version of the book from Amazon? If you did, just download the free Kindle app for your iPad and you can read the book on your iPad as well as on your Mac. (Reading it on your Mac requires the free Kindle reader for the Mac.)

OP
F
Reaction score
YESSSS Thank you I really feel like a super Dum A . Now about the iCloud , what would I need it for since I use kindle ? Also My iPad ( the 2nd generation ) will not download ANY apps . It just sits there and says " waiting " the only other thing to do is make it stop waiting or delete it . I have had this problem with my iPad for a while now . It is up to date on the version too. I also have a small or mini iPad and it still will download things . The 2nd gen iPad does not have kindle completely installed but the mini iPad does and thanks to your suggestion a min ago I now can read the books on there also but would surely like to be able to use the 2nd gen iPad. Can you suggest anything with that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your iPad Mini is downloading OK and you're using the same network, it may be because your iPad 2 is running out of space. Have you checked to see how much space is remaining? Are you running the latest version of iOS on it and do you have a backup? You may have to reset it and get rid of some things if it's too full. As for the cloud, you can use it for backing up and also for mail.

OP
F
Reaction score
Great thanks I will just delete many of the other programs I do not use. I got stupid stuff on there like puzzles and stuff to do while waiting at the hospital . Yes it is up to date on IOS it just will not DL anything else. My son told me it was full but I did not believe him. Seems as though it's true huh. haha Reckon I need to give him some credit huh? he is 25 .
Thank you for your help.!

C

chas_m

Now about the iCloud , what would I need it for since I use kindle

It's kind of tough to explain iCloud succinctly, since it does various things and is still evolving.

Primarily, iCloud is a service provided by Apple for free that allows you to sync certain important info automatically between Macs and iOS devices. This includes contacts, notes, reminders, calendar info, bookmarks, music, photos, videos and yes, PDF and iBookstore e-books.

Apple has provided a set of web apps (which you use through a web browser, say on a Mac or PC) that mirror the apps on your Mac or iOS device that sync (ie Mail, Contacts, Reminders etc) so that you can manage them from virtually anywhere, even someone else's computer.

There is a little bit of free storage space (about 5GB) for holding things, but this part of iCloud is at present underdeveloped except for iWork (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) users. Apple also gives you an @icloud.com email address that is ad-free and likewise syncs across devices.

I love having notes and reminders instantly synced on all my devices, I like seeing photos I just took with my iPhone show up on my Mac for editing, and I like being able to update contacts or calendar info and not have to worry about the change not appearing on my other devices. Some third-party apps use iCloud for syncing as well, and again its very handy and automatic.

Kindle takes care of its own syncing across devices -- all you have to do is have the Kindle app installed on any device you want to read your Kindle ebooks and you're all set. If all you're wanting to synch is e-books, then you can stick with Kindle/Amazon and not worry about iCloud, but if you want to buy books from Apple's iBookstore and/or enjoy iCloud's other benefits, you might consider signing up.

OP
F
Reaction score
iCloud sounds like something I too would like to have and could definitely use. It would be a lot easier to put appointments or update contacts ONCE in whichever I am using at the time. Am I getting the right picture? Is it that any Mac product I have with my email address in it will automatically update each other ? It is sort of like using a PC and signing in to my email like __@aol or whichever ; then using a completely different computer because I input information into my email account it shows up on any computer I sign in on . Therefore that information is useable ( or if it were an application ) it would be useable wherever I was at.?

C

chas_m

Am I getting the right picture? Is it that any Mac product I have with my email address in it will automatically update each other ?

Any Apple product, yes. The iCloud service works across Macs, iPhones, iPads and iPod touch running recent versions of the two operating systems (OS X or iOS, respectively). It doesn't apply to older Macs that can't be updated to at least Lion (OS X 10.7.x).

It is sort of like using a PC and signing in to my email like __@aol or whichever ; then using a completely different computer because I input information into my email account it shows up on any computer I sign in on . Therefore that information is useable ( or if it were an application ) it would be useable wherever I was at.?

No, what you're describing there is called "Remote Login" -- iCloud does have a facility for that, but its only Mac-to-Mac (ie you sign in on one Mac and can remotely control another Mac). The web site (icloud.com), which you can access from Macs or PCs, replicates the functionality of a few key Mac and iOS apps (Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Pages, Numbers and Keynote), and keeps these areas and a few others in sync.

Primarily, I think people use iCloud both for a standard email address as well as an "Apple ID" that they use to log into any of Apple's various online "stores" -- meaning the App Store (Mac or iOS), the iBookstore, and iTunes. In addition, the automatic syncing of Notes, Reminders, Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks (in Safari), Mail and (optionally) Photos as well as iTunes purchases (music, movies, videos, etc) is a great benefit, as it all happens more or less instantly. I change a time of an appointment on my iPhone's calendar, and it is simultaneously changed on my Mac and iPad (as an example).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.