If not Virtual PC, what ??

C

curious

Hi guys,

Okay, here's my dilema: I'm getting pretty close to switching to Mac. I still have a few obstacles in my way, but I'm getting close. One thing I realized is that I HAVE TO be able to run a few Windows programs. Some may say to use both the Mac and a PC, but that (to me) is just silly. I'll either switch over to a Mac, or I'll keep the Dell. But not both.

Anyway... Virtual PC will not run on a Macbook Pro, so that option is out. So my question is, what other options do I have? And are they real, viable options -- meaning I'll really be able to run these Windows program? Or just poor attempts at emulating Windows?

By the way, the Windows programs I'm referring to are fairly small apps. Not graphic intensive at all.

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Keep the Dell until the next version of VPC is out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
keep the dell until next version of vpc is out.. or they prove that windows vista (when it comes out) will run on the macbooks (which is the current rumor that I have heard)

OP
C

curious

Really? Is Virtual PC is the only thing out there that will decently run Windows programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
curious said:
Really? Is Virtual PC is the only thing out there that will decently run Windows programs?
NO. The only thing that will run Windows programs decently is a Windows PC. Keep the Dell.

OP
C

curious

D3v1L80Y said:
NO. The only thing that will run Windows programs decently is a Windows PC. Keep the Dell.
Holy moly. I thought there was stuff out there that allowed this. I was gonna use VPC, but recently learned that it won't work with a MacBook Pro.

Bummer. I guess I wasted a lot of time. Mine and yours. Sorry, guys... :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
theres always an equivalent program, what do u need?

Reaction score
Well, for an emulator to come out as a Universal App, it'll take time. Coz an emulator goes right into the architecture and simulates an intel chip... now many will say since it's an intel inside, then VPc should run even better. Not so, because XP isn't known to work on the Core Duo.

In my opinion, don't buy a MacBook. Reasons:
- you'll find lot of apps not running yet
- you might encounter Rev A errors, because it's new and untested
- the powerpc's are powerful and don't have less battery life than the new one's. They're just a bit slower, but it depends on what you want to do.

You need to devise out your buying plan. Do you really need a computer right now?
Does it have to be a mac? What tasks will you accomplish with it? What software will you use? Will this software run on the chosen configuration? No? Then change the configuration.
Then find out the computer that's best for you.
I doubt you're a pro app user, coz else you won't be buying an Intel Mac at this time.

OP
C

curious

yogi said:
In my opinion, don't buy a MacBook.

Do you really need a computer right now? Does it have to be a mac?
Nope. And nope. I was gonna switch because I've heard so many great things about Mac, and I was intrigued. Then I heard about the MacBook Pro and liked the look, the weight, the stats... and the Intel chip. I figured maybe now is the time to switch. But, I guess not.

Looks like I'll be keeping my Dell. It's an Inspiron 6000 with a 15.4" widescreen, 2.0 GHz processor, 1 Gb of RAM, 100 Gb hard drive, DVD burner, blah, blah, blah. Very similar to the MacBook Pro, only it doesn't have the Mac OS.

Oh well, I came close.

Perhaps another time...

Reaction score
curious, did you check the link given by jram?

This is what you asked for, it will run on the new mactels (it's a universal binary). It's buggy, but since you said you only need a couple of non-graphical intensive programs then it should serve your needs.

Also, as a couple of other people asked, what are the programs you use on your pc? you may be suprised at the amount of software you can get on a mac, and you could find an alternative.

Reaction score
The Q program seems to be a nice solution. Still I won't recommend buying an Intel Mac as yet, because it won't be long before we see new one's which are better. Apple just brought these out to tell people "We're here" and get the Universal App thing going. Transition is going well though, and by end of may we can tell wheter buying an intel will keep you going for the future.
But as apple has put it, in the near future the differences between poermacs and intelmacs will disappear.

And... You still need a windows OS to run on Q. Free is nothing.
I think you can import from VPC, i'm not sure, but on it's own, Q is not going to give you windows.

OP
C

curious

zeta101 said:
curious, did you check the link given by jram?
Yes, I did. Thanks. But...

A) I'm not really sure what it is, exactly. Everything Mac seems to be foreign to me (part of the problem, actually).

B) Everyone suggested NOT using one of these emulators, but to "Keep the Dell", "Keep the Dell", "Keep the Dell..."

C) The PC programs I use are for business, not fun. They have to work. So "buggy" won't really cut it.

D) Yogi suggests not getting a MacBook Pro at all right now. Period.

Bottom line: too many negatives.

zeta101 said:
Also, as a couple of other people asked, what are the programs you use on your pc? you may be suprised at the amount of software you can get on a mac, and you could find an alternative.
Here's the thing: My business involves obtaining and managing domain names. There are certains tools/programs I use that are not commercial products, and are not readily available. I have spent a lot of money (over the past X amount of years) purchasing custom made software, made for the PC. I have checked around, but this "niche market" software is apparently only made for the PC. That's why I needed the Mac to run this PC software, since I use it daily.

Sure, I could keep my PC and get a Mac -- but then I'd be jumping back and forth all the time, which is not productive. I'm also not tied to a desk or office. Sorry, but I'm just not gonna carry around two laptops wherever I go! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
curious said:
Hi guys,

Okay, here's my dilema: I'm getting pretty close to switching to Mac. I still have a few obstacles in my way, but I'm getting close. One thing I realized is that I HAVE TO be able to run a few Windows programs. Some may say to use both the Mac and a PC, but that (to me) is just silly. I'll either switch over to a Mac, or I'll keep the Dell. But not both.

Anyway... Virtual PC will not run on a Macbook Pro, so that option is out. So my question is, what other options do I have? And are they real, viable options -- meaning I'll really be able to run these Windows program? Or just poor attempts at emulating Windows?

By the way, the Windows programs I'm referring to are fairly small apps. Not graphic intensive at all.

Thanks in advance...
I already answered in your other thread that iEmulator is less expensive than VirtualPC and is a universal binary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
curious said:
Here's the thing: My business involves obtaining and managing domain names. There are certains tools/programs I use that are not commercial products, and are not readily available. I have spent a lot of money (over the past X amount of years) purchasing custom made software, made for the PC. I have checked around, but this "niche market" software is apparently only made for the PC. That's why I needed the Mac to run this PC software, since I use it daily.

Have you considered...
http://www.icecoldsw.com/domaintracker/

It really doesn't make sense to buy a Mac to run Windows software. Unless you maintain two computers (like a "home computer" and a "work computer") or can find software on the Mac that meets your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
technologist said:
Have you considered...
http://www.icecoldsw.com/domaintracker/

It really doesn't make sense to buy a Mac to run Windows software. Unless you maintain two computers (like a "home computer" and a "work computer") or can find software on the Mac that meets your needs.
I didn't know that software existed... ::bookmarks::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
To be fair this would have to be the one area where Mac's arn't up to speed just yet. Basiclaly, I would love to recommend a Mac to you but at the moment the software just isn't there in this case. Stick with what you have until something comes along.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.