DSL to Cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I switched today from DSL to Cable and my WiFi is not working. The hardwire is... I'm using a Air Extreme with a Motorola modem... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Pretty sparse information. You changed providers, which probably means you need a different password, right? If that's not the problem, then you might have to schedule a service call. Do you get an error message?

P.S. Your profile info says you're in "Georga".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Down here, most spell 'em like they hear 'em.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Switching ISPs will not change wireless connectivity unless in so doing, the tech or you fiddled with the router. If that's the case, then you might have to check if the password has changed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That was my thought also. Does the Airport if you plug directly into it? I know you said direct worked but thought maybe you meant direct hardwired to the modem. If the Airport Extreme ethernet ports still give you internet, then what Van said above it likely the problem.

Also can you give us a model number on the Motorola modem just in case?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I remember when I switched from DSL to cable (long time ago) I had to do quite a bit of re-configuring in order to get the wireless and everything else working. And when I switched again from cable to FIOS I had to once more re-configure. As Dennis stated, if you tell us which Motorola modem you have and what model AE, we can try to help.

C

chas_m

If you've not already tried this, try this:

1. Unplug both the Airport Extreme and the Motorola Modem from their electrical sources.
2. Wait about a full minute or so.
3. Plug them back in, in this order: Moto modem, wait for it to fully come online, then the Airport.
4. You MAY need to use the "forget this network" feature in your settings on your devices, then re-add the network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.