Remote Login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15" Retina... 2X 2TB G-Drives and 1 4TG G-Drive.
What apps or websites can be used to login remotely to my Mac at home. Can a windows machine even log onto a Mac remotely for word or excel files?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What apps or websites can be used to login remotely to my Mac at home. Can a windows machine even log onto a Mac remotely for word or excel files?

I've used LogMeIn and more recently, TeamViewer (since LogMeIn is no longer free and their paid service is WAY to expensive for my very intermittent use).

Alternatively, you can setup your Mac for desktop sharing and connect to it from a Windows machine with a VNC client. This is a bit more complex of a setup, but the instruction below should give you an idea of what's involved:

Mac 101 | How to Setup Remote Access via VNC – Mac Based Remote Desktop for Mac PC Linux iPhone

And of course, if you're trying to control one Mac from another, you can use Back to My Mac, which is an iCloud-based service that is built in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.