Can not upload photos to Facebook

Reaction score
Can anyone help me please? I am trying to upload photos from my iphone which have trasferred over to my mac but keep getting this message:

Can't Read Files
Your photos couldn't be uploaded. Photos should be less than 4 MB and saved as JPG, PNG, GIF or TIFF files.

I used to be able to upload photos, this started a few days ago, can anyone shed any light pretty please? xxxx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Where are you trying to upload your photos to? How did you transfer the photos from your iPhone to your Mac and what format are the photos in?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi
They are in JPEG Format, trying to upload onto Facebook & the photos have gone onto my Mac via iCloud. Up until last week I could upload onto Facebook, nothing as changed, so confused.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi
They are in JPEG Format, trying to upload onto Facebook & the photos have gone onto my Mac via iCloud. Up until last week I could upload onto Facebook, nothing as changed, so confused.
Thank you.

Hello - not sure that I can add much but are you using the Facebook (FB) app on the phone? If so, you might want to 'Force Close' the app, then reopen to see if that maneuver helps; if not, I would suggest a 'Restart' or better a 'Reset' of your phone (directions below if unfamiliar w/ the maneuver).

Of course, if the photos are already on your iMac, then you can put then into your FB messages easily - that's how I add pics to my account - good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
B
Reaction score
I haven't got a problem posting pics to FB from my phone, it's only from my Mac. Last week could upload with no problems so not sure why there is an error now?? x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi again - I was uncertain from your previous posts as to which device was having the problem uploading photos to Facebook (FB) - SO, my assumption is that you are: 1) able to upload images from your phone to your FB account?; 2) you can transfer images from your phone to your iMac?; and 3) you are unable to transfer the images on your iMac into your FB account - correct?

Now, I'm assuming that you are using the FB website via a browser (presume Safari)? If so, I would suggest that your 'Force Close' Safari, then restart and try again (if uncertain about the procedure, go to the Apple then select 'Force Quit' and finally Safari). If unsuccessful, I would then suggest logging out of your account and entering another user on your iMac (if available) and seeing if the FB upload feature works; if so, this would suggest a problem w/ your user account.

If still not useful, double-click on one of the images you are trying to upload > Get Info - tell us the size and extension of the image. You might also want to provide us the OS X you are using along w/ the Safari version. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes your 3 points are correct. I took some pics last night and just tried uploading via my Mac to FB and it worked but the pics I took last week still are not. Strange. If I continue to have problems I will try your suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Unable to load photos to Facebook from my MAC that originated on my IPHONE

I am having the same problem - it only started last week - I am not doing anything different - this is the message I receive when posting any NEW photos taken on my IPHONE that have been transferred to both my MAC AIR and MAC PRO -
Photos are in IPHOTO _ jpeg 2.1mb

Your photos couldn't be uploaded. Photos should be less than 4 MB and saved as JPG, PNG, GIF or TIFF files.

Any advice please?

Hello - not sure that I can add much but are you using the Facebook (FB) app on the phone? If so, you might want to 'Force Close' the app, then reopen to see if that maneuver helps; if not, I would suggest a 'Restart' or better a 'Reset' of your phone (directions below if unfamiliar w/ the maneuver).

Of course, if the photos are already on your iMac, then you can put then into your FB messages easily - that's how I add pics to my account - good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
New title and moved thread to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem - it only started last week - I am not doing anything different - this is the message I receive when posting any NEW photos taken on my IPHONE that have been transferred to both my MAC AIR and MAC PRO -
Photos are in IPHOTO _ jpeg 2.1mb

Any advice please?

I dont think I made my query very clear. I am not loading the photos to FBook from my IPHONE - I transfer them from my IPHONE 4 to the MAC PRO and MAC AIR and then try to post them on Fbook.
I get the above message.
The only way I can get the photos to load that were taken on my IPHONE and then transferred to my MAC AIR and MA PRO - is to create an album. This takes heaps of time. I am not doing anything different to las tweek -something has changed with Facebook? I can load photos that were taken before last week ok - no new photos I take on my IPHONE and then transfer them to my MAC and then try to load to FBOOK - I get the above message. I hop this is clear

OP
B
Reaction score
Think there must be a problem with FB as I took photos on Saturday and they uploaded but ones I took last week won't. So some are and some are not, very strange. I can upload photos from my mac, which were taken on my iphone onto Ebay so thinking the problem must be with FB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
Old thread but I'm having similar problems right now, started a couple days ago. Here's the problem:

Using my iMac27 retina, all of a sudden I cannot upload any images to Facebook groups I belong to. I get that message that someone posted above, and the progress bar remains at 0%. However, I can share/airdrop the same image to my iPhone X and upload the picture just fine to Facebook group. I am not banned or anything like that, and the fact that its only with the iMac I'm having this problem is weird. My iMac is running Mojave, has been for a few months now since I reformatted and got rid of Catalina. I can post pictures fine to Forums I participate in as well... its just Facebook.

Anyone have a clue?

Mike

Reaction score
Merlin Infinite DN 51, 9th Floor, Sector-V
  1. Make sure that you have a strong Wi-Fi or network connection.
  2. Try uploading the original photo instead of an edited version.
  3. Check the size of the photo. We recommend uploading photos under 15MB.
if still, you are facing an error then Check your Support Inbox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.