Word doc

Reaction score
Help - I have recently bought a iMac27" I have pages and numbers already installed on Mac
I have some Microsoft word documents saved on a memory stick which I have tried transferring onto my Mac - firstly I plugged my memory stick into my Mac the logo popped up on my desktop, then I open the flash drive, grabbed the whole file and dragged it over to my desk top, it opens fine plus I'm able to read documents. I then tried to drag the files over to pages and store in the correct pages file. The mac won't let me do this however if I then place into the bin that seems too free up the desktop but doesn't do much else.
Am I missing a trick or is it impossible to save a word doc from Microsoft onto a program which supports pages?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not entirely sure what it is that you're trying to do here. Are you trying to export your Word docs to the format Pages uses?

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
I'm trying to save it as a document that pages can recognise or is that impossible - I'm not sure how the system works , I can open doc on my desktop but can't store in pages it only seems to work on desktop.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Open Pages and the navigate to where the files is. You should be able to open them from there as Pages recognizes Word documents. Now, it's not Word itself so incompatibilities and formatting issues may appear at some point.

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
Ok so let me get this right open pages - how do I locate memory stick when I've found the document can I then save within pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best advice is invest in Office 2011. It is the best suite.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ok so let me get this right open pages - how do I locate memory stick when I've found the document can I then save within pages?

Don't have Pages installed at the moment but the following should get you in the right area.

1. Launch Pages
2. Go to the File menu and choose Open.
3. When the dialog box appears if the drive you need is not in the list there should be a little triangle in the dialog box click it. It is probably on the right side of the box about 1/3 of the way down from the top.
4. Your drive should now appear in the list. Click it to open the contents. From there you should be able to pick your file from the list that appears in the window.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to File > Open > open the document you want. Then, go to File > Save > in the left hand side, you're memory stick will be located > save there.

Best advice is invest in Office 2011. It is the best suite.
That's an expensive solution to a simple problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No doubt vansmith - but the best solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6

That really depends on how much you use Word for documents and how much you depend on Word to edit or create them.

I edit Word documents almost all day and every day in my line of work, because my company depends on Word to create and edit documents, so I pretty much need to have it. For somebody whose use of documents is casual or personal and who may be switching over to Mac from Windows; changing over some of the documents he already has in Word to Pages format and then using Pages to create all documents from then on, may suffice...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Plus the fact that Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free for new Mac owners, makes it a no-brainer to at least give them a try. You can't beat free. ;)

C

chas_m

Sorry, but I think its the worst advice you've ever given here (and you generally give great advice).

Why not just say that Office runs best on a PC, so go buy a PC (heck, you can buy some really bad PCs for not much more than the retail cost of Office)!

Regardless of what one thinks of Office (the program for Macs and PCs), there are a half-a-dozen free, simple methods to open a Word document on a Mac before having to go spend $100-plus to do so in Microsoft Office.

So if I get a JPEG file, I should go buy Photoshop because its the most awesome program to open JPEGs in??? :Confused:

TextEdit can open Word files, Pages can open them, and of course there's OpenOffice. But in fact to read a Word document on a Mac, you don't need *any* of these programs -- QuickLook can show you the contents, you can't edit but its invoked by simply pressing the spacebar!

Without knowing the OP's actual need beyond simply opening a single Word file, I think the advice to buy Word was, in my opinion, ill-considered -- particularly since it gives the impression that there's no other "proper" way to do it. I hope I've illustrated why I think this was a rare misstep on your part, sir.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.