Will a Mac do what I want it to?

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I am new to this board so please bear with me. I am a MS Win XP user and have used PC's all my life but I am getting more and more cheesed off with MS and their OS's! I am looking at going to a Mac and have a couple of questions.

I have a Pocket PC running on MS Pocket PC OS. Currently I have a USB docking station that I just drop the Pocket Pc into each night and everything syncs together. Will this be in any way compatible with a Mac or will I have to find another way of doing this?

Will there be anyway of copying all 500 odd of my MS Outlook contacts to a Mac or again will I have to do it by hand?

What is the best Mac for me to get. I like the look of the G5 and the 30" screen but frankly just over £3000 is a lot of money for me to be spending. I use my current laptop for a lot of web surfing, writing letters and photo editing in Elements 3.0. I occasionally supply a newspaper with some images but otherwise I don't do a lot else. Oh and I listen to my music in iTunes a lot (but I know that that is possible with a mac).

One other question all my music and photos are on a 250Gb external HDD (USB2.0). Will I be able to just plug this into a mac and it will work or will I have a problem?

Sorry for all the questions but if I do convert then I dont' want to find after a couple of weeks that I have made a huge mistake.

Regards

Say Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Here's one Pocket PC solution for Macs.

I would recommend getting a 20" iMac. Compact and has all the features you want for about £1150 fully loaded (I think I did the currency translation right), including a high-quality built-in 20" LCD monitor. You should be able to use your existing external hard drive just fine. If you plan on doing a complete switch, I'd suggest (1) copying all of the files on it to your new Mac, (2) reformatting the external drive to HSF+ (it will do it automatically for you when you reformat), and (3) copying all of your files back to the freshly-formatted external drive. However, if you want to be able to use the external drive on Windows computers on occasion, don't bother doing that; just leave it the way it is. Macs will talk to Windows-formatted storage devices but not vice-versa.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.