iCloud storage

Reaction score
I store my Pages documents in the cloud, but it looks like they are also on my hard drive. My SSD is filling up, and I thought I was paying for cloud storage so I could leave my hard drive free. What's up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without any further information, we can't give you a definitive answer. Which version of Mac OS X are you currently using? Using cloud storage works a bit differently depending on which version of OS X you're running.

Read the following Apple KB article which may help to explain why your documents are being stored in both places: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I store my Pages documents in the cloud, but it looks like they are also on my hard drive. My SSD is filling up, and I thought I was paying for cloud storage so I could leave my hard drive free. What's up?

Hello Bill..... - welcome to the forum! :) You've already been given excellent advice w/ links on 'how' iCloud works. But I was just wondering why your SSD is filling up? Pages documents are not that large (unless you have a lot of HD pics or just a LOT of files) - you might want to pick up a program, such as WhatSize and determine exactly which types of files are occupying your storage? The attached pic shows my SSD from the app linked - of my 'personal' files, music is using most of the occupied space. Dave

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 11.47.44 AM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Find it hard to imagine that pages documents are "filling" up even a SSD.

On one of my computers I've got these multi-page spreadsheet workbooks created at a rate of 5-10 per day over the last 13 years - been awhile since I checked, but still don't think they take up 4 GB of space.

I also would recommend an app so that you can really take a look at what is using space on the drive. WhatSize linked above is my favorite, but you can try Disk Inventory X for a free one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.