How Can I Select/Open A File From Within An Application?

Reaction score
I'm getting really frustrated. I have put a file onto my MacBook Air. Now I'm in Photoshop and want to open that file, but when I go to File/Open, I cannot see my entire document storage taxonomy, so the folder where I put the file (Pictures) is not visible!

How do I find that folder from within Photoshop so I can open it?

I am having the same issue with uploading media files to my Wordpress website. In Windows, I simply click the "Browse" button and navigate to the file. But I can't do that on the Mac.

Gah!!!

Sorry for the frustration. Can someone please help me figure this out. I cannot understand why it is so hard to locate folders and files in Mac, which is supposed to be more intuitive than Windows (hint: it is NOT). Everyone says "use Finder." But finder only shows SOME of your folders! ***? Why can I not see, and navigate to all my folders and files?

Thanks.

Ken

M

MacInWin

What version of OSX are you running? What Photoshop? In Mavericks, with CS 6 Photoshop, to open any folder you click on File/Open and a window appears with the last folder you used opened. To change folders, click on the box with the folder name in it. A drop down will open with the path to that particular folder. Click on the first path element that is shared with the folder you want and that location will open in the large window. Now you can browse there to find the subfolder and proceed on down as low as you want to go to find your file. Next time you open a file, that new folder will be the default.

I don't use Wordpress, but I suspect the same type browse works there as well.

Finder shows ALL of YOUR unhidden folders, plus any shared folders that are also not hidden. The internal security of OSX will prevent you opening any folder not shared by any other user in the system.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Jake,

I'm using Mavericks (10.9.1). Photoshop is part of Creative Cloud, so it will be whatever the latest version is.

I tried what you said, and it seems to be working now. Though I swear it was not working before. Grr. Well, as long as it works now. I frequently have to actually ask a question in a forum before either discovering the answer on my own, or the problem spontaneously solving itself.

Either way, thanks!

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
To change folders, click on the box with the folder name in it.

Well, to be pedantic, and you may well be correct for Mavericks, but in older versions that would be "click on the disclosure triangle next to the box with the file name in it."

For the life of me, I don't understand why they put that next to the file name and not the folder, which is what you want to change.

M

MacInWin

@toMACsh, I don't recall it changing in Mavericks. There was no update to CS6 for Mavericks, so the function SHOULD be the same. You are correct that the disclosure triangle will accomplish the same thing. But I've never seen a FILE name in that box, just FOLDER names. The files in that folder are shown in the big window below the tool bar. Mind you, all of this is in PS so it's not part of the basic OS itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
@toMACsh, I don't recall it changing in Mavericks. There was no update to CS6 for Mavericks, so the function SHOULD be the same. You are correct that the disclosure triangle will accomplish the same thing. But I've never seen a FILE name in that box, just FOLDER names. The files in that folder are shown in the big window below the tool bar. Mind you, all of this is in PS so it's not part of the basic OS itself.

Ok; I knew there had to be a link missing in the chain. I was thinking strictly in the OS. But, I'm 100% certain that in the Save dialog box, the disclosure triangle is next to the box containing the name of the file being saved, because the oddity of that has always perplexed me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.