Newbie, help needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
Here are two unrelated questions.

1) How come when i use finder and for example is want to move not copy there doesnt seem to be a cut button (like control X on a PC). ?

2) I realized that all the videos that i took with my Pentax Optio s40 digital camera seems incompatible with my computer. (ibbok g4 12 in). it will freeze when trying to import the .avi files to iphoto. Even just to open the clip with any media player (QT WMP Real) it will freeze the program, the SD card wont eject and even Finder goes bananas.

If anyone knows a reason for this and can let me know i would welcome any response.
Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
11213 said:
Here are two unrelated questions.

1) How come when i use finder and for example is want to move not copy there doesnt seem to be a cut button (like control X on a PC). ?

2) I realized that all the videos that i took with my Pentax Optio s40 digital camera seems incompatible with my computer. (ibbok g4 12 in). it will freeze when trying to import the .avi files to iphoto. Even just to open the clip with any media player (QT WMP Real) it will freeze the program, the SD card wont eject and even Finder goes bananas.

If anyone knows a reason for this and can let me know i would welcome any response.
Thank You.
1) Drag and dropping acts like "moving." Otherwise, you could just copy and then delete the original. Dragging and dropping is a lot easier than it would be on a Windows machine thanks to spring-loaded folders. Move the file over a folder and stay there and it will open. Go inside another folder inside that folder and the same ill happen. keep doing this until you can drop it where you want to, and then after doing so eveything will close back up. very nifty.

2) iPhoto is for photos, not movies. iMovie is for movies. And none of the apps you listed can do AVIs well. You want to download VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/

Alternatively, you could download DivX Doctor and convert the AVI to a .mov and play it in Quicktime.

http://www.3ivx.com/divxdoctor/

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
Thank you for the response, will try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.