The NEW line of MBP's

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out what the solution is if I want to buy a new MBP. I’ve been a MBP user for nearly 8 years and gone through 2 models of them. I rarely keep them longer than 3 years because I use them so intensely. My laptop is on almost all day every day.

I really want to move to a stronger processor MBP because I just passed the 3 yr mark with this one. In short, I use my laptop for day to day business (email, web, etc) but then also for DJ’ing and producing music. This means I have a lot of data that I have always like to keep local.

My idea was to go with the new MBP with the 8gb of ram and 256Gb SSD, and then house my data on an external usb 3.0 enclosure even though I’ve always tried to avoid the external (one more thing to lose, break, etc). A friend made a great point, asking me exactly what I was moving laptops for…and I replied, to have a newer more dependable laptop, but also to see a good performance return over the current 2.4ghz duo core I have now. He told me the speed of accessing data over the 3.0 vs how I’m doing it now (750Gb 7200rpm drive) all local most likely wouldn’t impress me, if anything, might be a negative result from where I am now.

I can’t afford to match the 750gb drive that I currently have (nor do I think it’s even offered) so what are people doing?? I can’t be the only one in this position??

Thx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can’t afford to match the 750gb drive that I currently have (nor do I think it’s even offered) so what are people doing?? I can’t be the only one in this position??

Some people buy used. You could buy a model newer than what you currently have...but old enough to still have a 750gig traditional HD (or larger) in it. Of course you can also upgrade the HD yourself if a newer-used unit has a smaller HD.

Cost a lot less as well.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Some people buy used. You could buy a model newer than what you currently have...but old enough to still have a 750gig traditional HD (or larger) in it. Of course you can also upgrade the HD yourself if a newer-used unit has a smaller HD.

Cost a lot less as well.:)

- Nick

Thx for your reply. I hadn't really thought of that...would it really be worth upgrading to the only model that I believe came out in between my current one (2.4ghz duo core mid 2010) and the one today? Or were there more upgraded flavours in between?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add to what Nick said... Larger and faster spinning hard drives are now available which will fit (dimension wise) in your MacBook Pro. Check with Other World Computing. The last time I looked they had 1 TB SATA hard drives that were 2.5 " wide and 9.5 MM thick which are the correct dimensions for a MacBook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.