Samsung Optical Smart Hub

Reaction score
The setup disk for my Samsung Optical Smart Hub only works on a PC.
Is it possible to set the Optical Smart Hub to work on my Mac mini?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
After quite a bitty of searching I found conflicting info on how well this works with Macs and even less on how to perform the setup under OS X. The closest I've come to directions is the following suggestion
What if you don't own a Windows PC? Samsung doesn't provide any Mac OS version of the setup software, but it may be possible to configure the device by connecting to it using Wi-Fi and then logging into its browser-based control panel.

I think that suggestion came from here. It doesn't seem to want to load at the moment for me to check.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The PC Mag review for this device is not very good. They say the idea is OK but poorly executed. And like Slydude, I could not find a reference to how it could be setup from a Mac since only Windows software is provided. Typical Samsung. :( I would return it for a refund if possible.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was beginning to think my poor Google skills had gotten worse. Good to know that you experienced the same thing buddy.:)

There were some reviews on Amazon where Mac users mentioned getting it working to one extent or another but there were no explicit directions in the reviews I examined.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.