Masked email addresses

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the email masking services? I signed up for DoNotTrackMe, and whenever I am asked for an email address, it puts a random series of numbers and letters before @opayq.com, and then says it will forward anything sent to that email to my email. So for example, when I signed up for MacForums Brief, it autofilled my email with something like "[email protected]" and then it indicated the following:

1. What just happened to your email?
mac-forums.com will email to [email protected]. Learn more.

2. If mac-forums.com spams you, block them any time here.

3. These emails will forward to (my actual email).

This service/product always gives you the option of unmasking your email address (using my real email) which in most cases (as with MacForums) I use. Has anyone else used this 'product' or had experience with this? Is it a hoax?

I'm not particularly tech-savvy when it comes to these sorts of things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Personally I found that annoying as heck. Little box opening whenever I had to type in an email.
Probably better off with a temp mail service like TrashMail or Mailinator.
I got rid of DoNotTrackMe and installed Disconnect. Works better in my opinion.
Get it from same place, Mozilla Add-ons.

C

chas_m

I confess I should look more into these sorts of service, but here's how I've dealt with this over the years:

I have two email addresses. They are both legit. One is a "public" address that I give to businesses and most casual contacts. The other is private address that is not used except to close friends and family.

The public email address is legit because I do have some things sent there by websites (trip itineraries, receipts for purchases, that sort of thing) that I do in fact want, but only occasionally (have to look up a receipt, for example). Along with those legit things, the account attracts a fair amount of spam.

I have a filter on my email that anything sent to the public address goes right to Junk. I review the Junk folder from time to time and "de-junk-status" anything that I'd want to keep (1 out a 100 I'd guess). Once you tell the junk filter that a given email is not junk. It will still send it to the junk folder but will NOT mark it as junk. Makes it easy to keep the right ones and trash the bad ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.