What apps WON'T run on Intel chip?

C

curious

I'm thinking about the new MacBook Pro with the Intel chip. I've seen mentioned a couple of times something about certain applications NOT able to run on the Intel chip processors.

Is this true? If so, which apps won't run?

Also, is there a "fix" for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i havent heard of any programs that wont run on the intel chips. what programs have you heard about?
-chris

OP
C

curious

coach_z said:
what programs have you heard about?
Well, I thought I read somewhere that Virtual PC might not work at all. I also read that certain things won't run that well, such as Photoshop CS. I can't swear that this is true, but that's why I'm asking about it here.

I could probably live for a while without Photoshop, but I might be in trouble if I can't run some sort of VPC type program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
curious said:
Well, I thought I read somewhere that Virtual PC might not work at all. I also read that certain things won't run that well, such as Photoshop CS. I can't swear that this is true, but that's why I'm asking about it here.

I could probably live for a while without Photoshop, but I might be in trouble if I can't run some sort of VPC type program.
You absolutely would not want to run Virtual PC even if it ran at full speed (or at all if what you're saying is correct) on these things because the software is incapable of emulating anything past Pentium II. In fact, I wouldn't rely on a VPC-type program for pretty much any Windows app because they run so slowly. Really, I see no reason for the VPC unless it's a safety blanket for until you get used to the Mac OS or if you're in some kind of pretentiously networked environment hostile to Macs. I used it for a while because my school offered it free, but it just got to be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Photoshop will run, but not at full speed. It'll be okay if you use it casually, but not if you're some kind of image-editing professional who demands hours of use out of it everyday.

That said, if you absolutely must have a window in which you can run Windows, IEmulator will do the trick on Intel Macs and actually costs much less than Virtual PC for mac. The catch is you have to install the OS yourself if I'm not mistaken. Here:

http://www.iemulator.com/

Of course, if I were you and absolutely needed Windows, I'd just wait for either the completion of the Darwine project (though this is actually running Windows apps without Windows, not Windows itself) or the release of Vista, when someone will undoubtedly hack it to work on the Intel macs with EFI. if you want an idea of how it will perform, here's a video of it Running Microsoft office under Windows 2000:

http://www.iemulator.com/movies.php?themoov=3

And cheers on your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
As far as i know most of the apps will run, but not in a native form, they will use Rosseta. You may want to check the keynote when Steve Jobs anounces the move from PowerPC to Intel, he explains all what you need to know.
Photoshop (Adobe) won't be a native app until its next release, but you still can use it with Rosetta, VPC should run since Apple is not suposse to prevent its computers from running Windows.
The speed/performace of the new iMacs is compared to the PowerMacs G5 when they run apps withouth Rosetta and (a little) bellow when they runs apps using Rosetta.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/
20:15

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
mraya said:
The speed/performace of the new iMacs is compared to the PowerMacs G5 when they run apps withouth Rosseta and (a little) bellow when they runs apps using Rosseta.
The first part is true. The second part is dead wrong. have you seen Steve Jobs running Photoshop through Rosetta on the Intel iMac? The performance of Rosetta is closer to a 1 GHz G4 than a Power Mac. The trick is most apps aren't as intensive as Photoshop, so you don't see as much of a difference. Office, for example, runs well (though not perfectly; the scroll icon couldn't keep up with the mouse cursor in the Stevenote).

Reaction score
Sightspeed won't run (sightspeed.com) or ineen (ineen.com). These were both decent video chat programs. I contacted sightspeed, they won't have an update for a few more months. There was one or two more programs I really liked that I can't run, I'll post again if I remember them. Granted, these are not super popular programs, so it probably isn't a big deal.

OP
M

MJGUK

Atm the media plugins like Real Player are not universal binaries, which means A) You cannot use media plugins in browsers (unless you force the browser to use rosetta) and it also means you cannot use media plugins in things like the Radio Widgets. Although Real Networks among other companies have stressed they will be releasing updated versions very shortly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
all non-native apps run SUPER slow... trust me, it sucks. Give it some time... within a few weeks there will be LOADS of software.

OP
Z

zoso1951

lot's of software,,,

Hope so!,
non the less, my new iMac runs circles around my ex-wife's little G4 iBook!! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.