MacBook Pro... Revision "A" vs "B" ??

C

curious

I'm looking into the MacBook Pro, and I've seen people say that they're not buying Revision A, but waiting for Revision B. I know that software has different releases and versions, but I've never heard of this for hardware. So...

1. What does this Revision stuff mean?
2. Is it worth waiting for B?
3. Can you upgrade from A to B? or are you stuck with A?

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Revision A means the first line of the product, much like versions in software (1.0, 1.1, etc) Waiting is good - lets them work out the bugs they'll encounter once the public gets a hold of the machines. The only thing is waiting - waiting for later and later revisions, the products will get faster and better and you might be waiting forever. Most upgrades i hear about are OS wise, but if there's a bug apple will surely fix it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I just use "rev. b MacBook" as an excuse to save up for one lol. I recently donated my bank account to Apple for an iMac Core Duo in my wife's name :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
1. See deus_ex_machina's post

2. That depends on how much you need the MacBook Pro right now.

3. No, you can't. You are stuck with A.

OP
C

curious

Discerptor said:
3. No, you can't. You are stuck with A.
Yikes, that's not good. At least with software you can get an upgrade. Hmmm... gotta think about this one.

Does Apple have any standard/typical time-tables? Any way to guess when MacBook Pro version B will be released?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Considering it was just released, it'll probably be a while.

If I were in the market for a MacBook, I'd wait for the release of OS X 10.5 "Leopard". By that point, that MacBook will have been out for a while, AND you'll get the newest version of the OS. While little is known of Leopard, the release is expected to be between sometime late this year and mid-2007 (probably the latter).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
curious said:
Yikes, that's not good. At least with software you can get an upgrade. Hmmm... gotta think about this one.

Does Apple have any standard/typical time-tables? Any way to guess when MacBook Pro version B will be released?
The MacBook Pro is a new product, so there isn't really any sure way to tell. If I had to guess, I'd say Revision B will be out around the middle of the year, when Intel releases the Merom. I have little doubt that is what will ultimately end up inside the MacBook Pro.

OP
C

curious

to_tough_to_die said:
If I were in the market for a MacBook, I'd wait for the release of OS X 10.5 "Leopard".
the release is expected to be between sometime late this year and mid-2007 (probably the latter).
That's a pretty long wait... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I recently donated my bank account to Apple for an iMac Core Duo in my wife's name

I hope you told her, other wise your sleeping on the couch for the next month...with your iMac though. ;)

OP
Z

zachwass2000

Jabjabs said:
I hope you told her, other wise your sleeping on the couch for the next month...with your iMac though. ;)

I think he meant that he spent all the money in his account buying on for her. Right?

Reaction score
Will there be any announcement of sorts when rev b comes out? Or... is it assumed that rev B will be around when Leopard is out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Yeah, but the thing is, there will always be bugs and everything will be constantly being fixed. By the time one revision comes out, a BRAND NEW line will probably be released, so I don't think waiting for a revision is all that great. It's like the iPods...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Harryc said:
How will we know when rev. 'B' is released, if ever?

usually when there's a significant product arrival or price change, AFAIK. Usually every quarter or so. Anyone else know for sure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
zachwass2000 said:
I think he meant that he spent all the money in his account buying on for her. Right?

Haha, right. It was her birthday present. I told her she had to open the big box last; when she got to it, she said "this better not be a computer" LOL. She is very happy with it though, it's a great machine. And yes, it's hers, not mine. I'm still pretty happy with my G4 Cube :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
MUMacUser said:
Will there be any announcement of sorts when rev b comes out? Or... is it assumed that rev B will be around when Leopard is out?

More likely, it's assumed it will be out when Merom comes out, projected for August/September.

harryc said:
How will we know when rev. 'B' is released, if ever?

"If ever" is a bit harsh. I doubt Apple will stop making new computers any time soon.

OP
H

Harryc

Meyvn said:
"If ever" is a bit harsh. I doubt Apple will stop making new computers any time soon.
What are you talking about? Is it assumed in the Apple world that a new revision is also a new model? That is maybe where I am missing the point. New revision to me means Powermac Pro revision 'B'...same as the existing model hardware wise and spec wise, but some internal engineering changes may have been done. If it's a new model, why the **** don't they call it that?

OP
T

Tiranis

curious said:

What did you expect? Do you get upgrades on Dell or Sony laptops? Do you get new TV just because a new model came out? Do you get a new car to replace your last year's car just because the model number is 2006 now, instead of 2005? Why would you expect Apple to give you an upgrade?

If you need the laptop now, buy it. If you don't then don't. I'm using the iMac G5 Rev A and I couldn't be more happy—no problems at all...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, 160 gig H.D.
I don't know if you would call it revision "B" or not, but, what I want to see is the MacBook Pro come with an 8x Dual layer dvd burner, like the last revision of the Powerbooks had (and PC notebooks in this price range have).
Losing the modem or even Firewire 800 wasn't a big deal to me, but the 4x single layer dvd burner is.
I understand it has to do with how thin the MacBook Pro is, but hopefully later this year when I'm ready to buy they'll have that sorted out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Ok, so now that the 17inch MBP has been released with an 8X DL superdrive does that mean I can get one installed into my 15inch MBP if I wanted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.