Checklist

vss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 8Mb Ram 500GB SSD
Hi There,

My name is Vijay and I was a Windows user. As my wife is using her work computer, she's agreed for me take over her MacBook Air 13".

I'm a first time Mac User and was wondering if there is a checklist that anyone can share with me that guides me step-by-step as to what to do first etc. I would like to keep using the MS Office loaded on the Mac but have my own MS Outlook files etc on it.

1. Take backup of both Apple and PC
2. Setup new account for myself on Apple
3. Delete my wife's account on Apple (without deleting MS Outlook and other apps)
4. Delete my wifes music & pictures and MS Outlook data files.

and so on

Am currently reading up on Migration Assistance but its still unclear whether the mail files it will bring in will be to Mac's mail app or MS Outlook etc etc.. All my data is on Skydrive / dropbox etc and I would have to unlink my wife's link first - I think.

Would be very much grateful for any help I can get.

Best regards
Vijay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'd say, click the Apple menu at the very top left of the menu bar and choose System Preferences. There you can customize things like your mouse and trackpad tracking speed, wallpaper, etc. The mouse and trackpad settings are probably the most important: you'll have to enable everything there to take full advantage of all the multi-touch gestures.

You may want to download Flip4Mac and VLC player to play Windows Media and other files that might be compatible with OS X.

If you have any questions, you can click the Help menu from any application. Also, nearly every application has a Preferences menu under the application menu where you can customize that application. Start with the Finder Preferences.

I'd highly recommend these video tutorials is you're very new to OS X:
Apple - Support - Videos

I think they use an earlier version of OS X so it might look a little different than your version, but the information in the videos applies nonetheless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.