Anything better than NeoOffice to run my Access DB?

Reaction score
Access DB currently running on my PC Network - Need to add it to my iMac

I currently have a few PC's, however I purchased an iMac 27" and want to start using it as my main computer. I purchased the program Office iMac 2011, to read and view tools, however, it did not come with Access. Once I have completed adding all that I want to add to my DB program (I am not the writer of the DB) I will have it moved to a web based program, for my clients to access certain parts.

My two questions are:

1. What program do I need to add on my iMac OSX version 10x8x4; so I can run, view and edit my Access DB?

2. When I switch it to a web program - what would make it the easiest way to convert it? The program writers are currently using a PC. I want to make sure the language will not interfere with my iMac users. I currently have my website done in Word Press, but will have a link on the page where the login will point them to either the org. web of just info documents they need which will stay in Word Press or the ability to view their class documents or activate / inactivate staff, etc.

I hope you can help me. My dad was an Apple genius, but he passed away. No one else in my family loves Apple, so I hope you all don't mind taking me under your wing.

Thank you,
Linda C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I currently have a few PC's, however I purchased an iMac 27" and want to start using it as my main computer. I purchased the program Office iMac 2011, to read and view tools, however, it did not come with Access. Once I have completed adding all that I want to add to my DB program (I am not the writer of the DB) I will have it moved to a web based program, for my clients to access certain parts.

My two questions are:

1. What program do I need to add on my iMac OSX version 10x8x4; so I can run, view and edit my Access DB?

Virtual Windows,
NeoOffice
Windows 365?

Hi Linda - welcome to the forum! :)

I can address the first part of your post above - I converted to Apple in the spring of '13 after decades on PCs - I had a half dozen Access DBs, 4 were small so I exported as Excel files and then used Numbers; however, 2 for my CD collections amounted to a total of 60 or so printed pages in an Access format that I've used for ages.

From my searching, there really is no OS X database program that will directly import Access files w/ all of the features of that application - Numbers or the Open Office options, such as NeoOffice or LibreOffice will simply allow you to import as Excel or CSV files - very frustrating, and I'm still looking for an answer.

Now, I guess if you want to run Windows in another partition (e.g. w/ Parallels or Boot Camp), then you can load on Access and used like you do on a PC - I'm now retired and don't really need to run Windows on my Apple computers - will await others' responses - maybe a solution has 'popped up' recently? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Access will still be on the network system on the PC

Thanks Dave!

The DB is still, and will be kept on the Network drive on my PC. So the whole program does not need to be placed on my iMac. I was thinking I could access the Network drive, open up my DB like I do with my PC and have the same functionality as if I was on my PC.

Is that even possible? After I read your post, maybe not.

I really do appreciate your post.

Linda C.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Access is proprietary to Microsoft and as far as I know, there are no programs for OS X that are compatible with Access. However, you can try the procedures as given in the following article: LINK

Perhaps the above article will also answer your second question.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Linda

Please do not cross post your questions. You posted this in two forums.... that causes confusion and multiple answers in different places. I combined everything here in this forum.

Thanks....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Dave!

The DB is still, and will be kept on the Network drive on my PC. So the whole program does not need to be placed on my iMac. I was thinking I could access the Network drive, open up my DB like I do with my PC and have the same functionality as if I was on my PC.

Is that even possible? After I read your post, maybe not.

Hi again Linda - boy, I have no idea if what you are asking is even possible - probably not, but will have to plead ignorance?

My other option was to purchase FileMaker Pro, but their price is $329! Well, as a retired radiologist needing just to track two personal musical DBs, did not feel it was worth the price - even joined their forum, and guess what - the program cannot import Access files directly - SO why not just export my *.mdb files to Excel and bring them into Numbers? I still have my old Dell PC in a back bedroom, so I might just update the files & export/import as described so that I can 'dump' the old computer.

Now there are of course paid online services for using the MS Office programs but again why do I need that @ likely a high price. NOW, you're in a different position, i.e. need the option for work - I'll keep track of this thread to see what else may be suggested - Chascag's link was interesting but again don't believe I need to fuss w/ SQL conversions - OH WELL - good luck. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have recently bought a App called Tap Forms to start my own DataBase and it available for both OS X and iOS, syncing between the 2. Its possible to Import & Export standard CSV files from Excel, Numbers, or other systems. Not sure what Access uses as a file system, but worth a look, and when in it, it is very powerful App

Tap Forms Organizer and Secure Database for your Mac ~ By Tap Zapp Software Inc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what Access uses as a file system, but worth a look, and when in it, it is very powerful App

Access is proprietary Brent. When MS purchased FoxPro way back in the late 80s, they took that and grew it into Access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Access is proprietary Brent. When MS purchased FoxPro way back in the late 80s, they took that and grew it into Access.

Ahh oh Thanks Charlie. In that case then, Tap Forms probably won't help the OP then. BUT i like it quite a bit, and it takes over from 1Password, where i can put Serials, Insurance details, my whole Movie Library, Music and so on.

Being proprietary, it sounds like it will be a hard task to find something to work with it then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.