Mighty Mouse... Good? Bad? Average?

C

curious

For you "ex-PCers" that now use a Mac... how do you like the Mighty Mouse?

Is it better, worse, or just the same as a decent optical Logitech (for example) PC mouse with a scroll-wheel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i tried the MM but did not find it to my liking so i went back to my Logitech.

however, my friend who is a graphic artist loves his, so it is all down to personal preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
love/hate relationship with my mighty mouse.. i love its function.. i hate how sometimes it clicks the wrong button (clicks right when i want to click left and visa versa) and i dont' like how long it takes to scroll because the ball is so small..
but I do like it.. in final cut for example to use the mouse to scroll in all directions on the time line.

OP
B

BEEEsH

Not a fan at all. Its a clumsy design in my opinion at least.

I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and its much much better.

Just get USB Overdrive and you can program your mouse to do whatever you like.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really love my MM. I have gotten so used to it I never click the wrong button and for graphic work it's amazing. I do keep my Logitech Trackman Marble around though for some work. I am so used to it, but the MM to ME has become a very usefull tool for some of the work I do. It's really up to the user. I would say try one for a while and see if it suits you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
the only thing alot of the other mice need is that they need to scroll sideways, then I would not have any good things to say about mightly mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Doesn't work at all for me, because I keep my fingers on both mouse buttons all the time, which confuses the poor thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
When I use ours at work, I'm constantly accidently triggering the side buttons (mind you, I'm always standing up demoing with mice secured with additional cables), but I don't feel the MM is worth 50$ by any means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Bleh, I hate it. The scroll wheel is just to small, and the entire thing feels like it's going to slip out of my hand.

Reaction score
Too expensive. The only thing I really need a 2nd mouse button for is WoW and the mighty mouse doesn't work well with WoW.

OP
M

MJGUK

Well I have the wireless keyboard and mouse combo and I'm really hoping Apple will bring out a Wireless Mighty Mouse sooner rather than later.
I'd really like the right click, although ctrl click etc is not that bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I've never used a Mighty Mouse and don't plan to buy one. $50 is far too much for a 400dpi mouse whose only special feature is 360-degree scrolling (though I do like that bit). I'm sticking with my Logitech MX518 that switches between 400, 800, and 1600 dpi on the fly, has forward and back buttons along with a middle click button I programmed to open stuff in new tabs in Safari, and has an extra button that I programmed to do the F9 function of Expose.

There is no reason to get the Mighty Mouse unless you place a large amount of value on the 360-degree scrolling and/or just like the design that much. Most multibutton (>2 button; 2-button mice with scroll wheel just work when you plug them in) mice have drivers for both Mac and Windows, and those that don't can be made to work as you deem fit through the freeware USB Overdrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
my iMac came with a mighty mouse and i like. i do feel as the others do about teh scroll wheel being to small. i would not pay $50 for one, but it came with the iMac and it is sufficient for everyday use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
curious said:
I work that way too. How does that affect the performance of this mouse?
The mighty mouse has a sensor inside to know which half of the shell you're pressing... If you rest your left finger on top whilst pressing the right button, it registers as a regular left click.

OP
P

Peppered

I like it. Once I set the buttons to what I wanted, I got used to it very quickly over my Logitech and MS Optical. A friend came over though, he kept pulling up Expose.

OP
C

curious

Aptmunich said:
The mighty mouse has a sensor inside to know which half of the shell you're pressing... If you rest your left finger on top whilst pressing the right button, it registers as a regular left click.
eek. That won't work for me, as I always keep both fingers on the mouse.

Come to think of it, wouldn't most people use a mouse that way?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
:headphone Not sure if it's because I am a guitarist and always using my fingers, but I never keep both fingers on the mouse. Only the one I am pressing down with is in contact with the mouse. I talked to another guitarist that said they do the same thing. Who knows! :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.