Screenshots the most easy way ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" OS X10.6.8
OS X has a a few key combinations for screenshot functions. By the time I need to use them I will have forgotten those combinations, needing up to 4 fingers !

This is worse than the Windows keyboard, where we have a Screenshot key and a key for deleting charachters to the right of the cursor !

I wander which program is handy and easy for screenshots, + usual associated functions.

SKITCH cannot be used because it requires higher OS X version.
My version 10.6.8 is the highest I can use.
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Look under Applications ->Utilities and then there is a app call Grab. Atrnatively you can click a free space on your desktop and then Go ->Utilities and then Find Grab. You can drag it to your Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
OS X has a a few key combinations for screenshot functions. By the time I need to use them I will have forgotten those combinations, needing up to 4 fingers !

This is worse than the Windows keyboard, where we have a Screenshot key and a key for deleting charachters to the right of the cursor !

I wander which program is handy and easy for screenshots, + usual associated functions.

SKITCH cannot be used because it requires higher OS X version.
My version 10.6.8 is the highest I can use.
Thank you

Well, I believe that a little learning is a good thing! :) I used Snag-It on Windows PCs for years and when I transitioned over to Apple in the spring of 2013, I felt 'what' will replace this program for us (wife loved it too) - WELL, there are plenty of options built into & offered by OS X, including:

Key Combinations - CMD-SHIFT-3 & CMD-SHIFT-4, especially the latter serves many of my purposes quite well, particularly after opening the screenshots in Preview; and these are easy to remember if used often.

Grab (as already mentioned) - part of the utilities offerings of OS X - now not used much by me, but a great feature is a 'timed' screenshot that allows one to open 'say' a menu item and put the cursor next to a selection - an excellent teaching tool.

Preview (what a versatile app!) - look at the attached pic - from the 'File' menu (w/ the app open in the Dock) you can select a variety of screen capture options.

SO, not sure that I need much more - thus, let us know your needs - your questions may have already been answered? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 5.59.08 PM.png

C

chas_m

Yes, there is a screenshot key on (old) Windows keyboards, but that only takes a shot of the entire screen. The Mac approach = SO much more refined and intuitive.

shift-command 3 for whole screen(s)
shift-command 4 for dragging a selected area
shift-command 4 and then space to select a specific window (with drop shadow)

Try each a few times and you'll be in the habit.

As for right-delete, I've very rarely needed this in my whole life (and I'm a professional writer), but function (fn)-delete serves that purpose. There are also keyboard commands for "home" and "end" since I suspect you'd want to know that as well. :)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Yes, there is a screenshot key on (old) Windows keyboards, but that only takes a shot of the entire screen.

Actually, Alt-Screen Print just does the active window.

C

chas_m

Heh! Shows how long I've been out of the Windows loop, but I have to wonder how a button that says "Print Screen" and yet only takes a shot of the active window (a portion of the screen) could be considered "intuitive."

Anyway, shift-command (held down) 4 and then space (neither needs to be held down) duplicates that function.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Heh! Shows how long I've been out of the Windows loop, but I have to wonder how a button that says "Print Screen" and yet only takes a shot of the active window (a portion of the screen) could be considered "intuitive."

Anyway, shift-command (held down) 4 and then space (neither needs to be held down) duplicates that function.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer my Mac to a Windows machine, but you can't convince me that but sequence you describe above is more intuitive than pressing two buttons, one of which is clearly labelled as 'print screen'...

C

chas_m

No, I wasn't saying the Mac way was more intuitive. I was saying that "print screen" when in fact its only printing a window makes the button name a bit inaccurate.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Print Screen captures the entire screen. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I think someone stole my Print Screen button. Its no where on my keyboard :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use Jing. It's free and sits up there in the menu bar. It can record static images, portions of the screen, or do videos - and it has its own cloud storage so I can share the stuff easily. You can either set it up to work with a keystroke (I do Shift + Command + P), or you can use the mouse in one of several ways.

Not sure if it runs on 10.6, but it's free and has a nice little editor and is made by the same folks that make SnagIt, so it's got some decent bones under the hood.

TechSmith | Jing, Free Screenshot and Screencast Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
@cwa107, will it do multiple monitors as one image? Currently OSX spits out two images I have to seam together each time..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I use Jing. It's free and sits up there in the menu bar.....

Not sure if it runs on 10.6, but it's free and has a nice little editor and is made by the same folks that make SnagIt, so it's got some decent bones under the hood.

TechSmith | Jing, Free Screenshot and Screencast Software

Thanks Cwa107 for the suggestion & link above - wife & I were big Snag-It users when on Windows - will get her to look @ my previous post in this thread and if those 'built-in' OS options don't make her happy, I'll put Jing on her iMac - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.