G3 and G4 Netorked with Intel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
Hey all.

I figured out how to do this a while ago when I first got my Mac Mini to allow my PowerBook G4 to log into the mini and see files and such.

I'm trying to get my iMac G3 (2001) and my PowerMac G4 (AGP) to be able to log into my Mac Mini so that I can move files back and forth (the iMac makes an awesome Jukebox, but would like it to be able to access the MP3s on the mini etc...)

When I did it on the PowerBook, it was a single command in Terminal, but for the life of me I can't figure out search terms that get me to that again.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A lot will depend on the operating system you are using on the Mini. Snow Leopard OS X.6 can access PowerPC files through Rosetta however Rosetta is not supported on OS X.7 Lion and later. Have a read of this:-

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
A lot will depend on the operating system you are using on the Mini. Snow Leopard OS X.6 can access PowerPC files through Rosetta however Rosetta is not supported on OS X.7 Lion and later. Have a read of this:-

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

I totally forgot to mention that... the Mini is a late 2012 running 10.9.1 Mavericks. The PowerBook that connects beautifully is running 10.5.8 Leopard.

The PowerMac G4 (AGP) is running 10.2.8 Jaguar and the iMac G3 is running 10.4.11 Tiger...

I'll check the link and report back.

Thanks so far!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Checked the Link... it is for migrating. I don't want to migrate, I want to be able to actively share documents and music files. The mini is my main computer but I have some great old software on the PowerMac (QuarkXpress, Photoshop) that I still use there so that I don't have to buy them again... I would just like to be able to move files around as necessary without using thumb drives and stuff...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.