Formatting Page Numbers in Office 2011

Reaction score
I knew how to perform formatting in a Word document using the Page 1 of 5 but have forgotten how to do this in the footer.

Reaction score
In Office 2011 for Mac OSX:

Add "Page X of Y" page numbers

You can add running-total page numbers, for example, "Page 7 of 9," which automatically update if you add or remove pages.

On the View menu, click Print Layout.
On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
Click the Header area at the top of the page, or the Footer area at the bottom of the page.
On the Insert menu, point to AutoText, and then click Page X of Y.
To return to the body of the document, click Close header button.

Should be simpler, but that would require joined up thinking from MS.

OP
N
Reaction score
Add Page X of Y in Word documents

Thank you so very much for providing the procedures for this task.

I would never have considered this is the method to use via the Print Layout and Header and Footer menus.

Cannot believe I have been using Word for over 20 years and never thought of 'AutoText' and the Page X of Y.

All is simple, but without a guiding light as you have provided, I would not have sorted this out.

A way back in the last century, Office for the Mac had a super-great Manual. It was like a bible to me and ever so handy. Now, with resorting always to the internet, I often get lost in the sea of massive amounts of information.

So glad you could help me out in this special way.

And, so promptly! Talk about excellent service from fellow MS users. Almost need to establish a local 'live' group as we have for the Macs. Sharing knowledge is our only hope to keep abreast of technology.

Have a great day wherever you are in the world of cyberspace.

Nakoda [Ontario, Canada]

Reaction score
It used to drive me crazy too.

Had to compile a huge document for work once and decided to spend a day just clicking through every option on both platforms. Least productive day ever. :|

MS are so inconsistent it must be by design. Keeps a lot of people 'looking' busy ;)

I'm way over the other side of the pond in the original London.

Glad to help out.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm half-Brit so it's a welcome to meet a full-fledged online.

What MS needs is a Steve Jobs who would never let them issue a new program without it being perfect and very user friendly [actually, Office for the Mac in the 90s was very user-friendly. As soon as they hit the mid-2000s, the program became less user friendly.

Some Mac cohorts tell me that the Word, Presentation and Spreadsheet programs Apple has are excellent and only $19.95 US/CDN. If I did not purchase Office for the Mac 2011 before hearing about Apple's programs, I would have made the switch.

Anyway, thankfully, we have techies like you to help us out. Sorry to hear about the time it took you to sort it out. I identify with that because there were misspent times in Word to sort out 'First Page Header'. Have not tempted doing 'Indexes' or Mail Merge.

Again, thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some Mac cohorts tell me that the Word, Presentation and Spreadsheet programs Apple has are excellent and only $19.95 US/CDN. If I did not purchase Office for the Mac 2011 before hearing about Apple's programs, I would have made the switch.

Well, this is one cohort that will tell you to stick with Mac Office 2011. I have both Mac Office 2011 and Windows Office 2010 and while the Windows version is definitely more polished, there's really very little difference between the two versions.

The latest offering from Apple (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers) is free to new owners of a Mac. However, Apple has made some changes to those programs to bring them more in line with the iOS versions. That has set off a barrage of complaints from users. We're waiting to see if Apple is going to make changes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.