Should i be concerned? (with photo)

Reaction score
I arrived home from the gym just after 4am the other day to find that my imac had been switched on. I haven't switched it on in weeks and i don't have access to the internet. I took a screen shot of the command log straight away, but don't know what it means.

I'm extremely confused and worried because i also found my back door open. I'm a female in my 20s who lives alone and doesn't know what to do with this information. I've taken it to the apple store and the staff member i spoke to said it looked suss but because of the store policy were unable to look into it, they can only wipe my mac, which wont stop me worrying.

Could someone please tell me what these commands mean?

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,

I've never known a machine to power itself on just like that. Your log appears to indicate that it was in sleep mode and has been re-activated by a peripheral device, most likely the keyboard.

PS This may help http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For one thing your iMac was not turned off, it was in sleep mode. It appears it was awakened by something that was attached to it via the USB hub or USB port. Maybe an external hard drive or other device?

Whenever your Mac is in sleep mode, there are things that can wake it up. Like your pet cat (if you have one) accidentally stepping on the keyboard, and many other situations. It does not necessarily mean someone was accessing your machine while you were away.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The wake reason of EHC1 indicates that the USB (likely keyboard) was use to wake it from sleep. So the computer wasn't turned off, rather it was just woken up from sleep.

The couple of errors at the end seem to indicate that perhaps a couple of PDFs were trying to be seen by pressing the spacebar and it didn't work, maybe..

First, a few pieces of information.

What Mac do you have? What version of OS X? Do you have it set up to ask for your password when you turn it or wake it from sleep?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)/27iMac .4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor / iPhone5S, iPad 1
I commend you for getting home from the gym at 4AM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
2 weeks later...and no reply from the OP. Must not have been that big of a deal (or someone did a great job replying...and said what the OP wanted to hear).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)/27iMac .4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor / iPhone5S, iPad 1
Or the cat confessed and OP is embarrassed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I commend you for getting home from the gym at 4AM

Some folks work different hours/have different schedules. 4am to some folks is like 4pm for other folks.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Snoozing or not snoozing?

Interesting. One morning in the wee hours around 4AM I got up to use the bathroom and on the way I noticed my wife's iMac screen was on. Not long after I found my Mini was on - another wee hours wake up call for the Mini?

If these episodes were the only ones I'd be surprised. Speculation unnecessary. Computers just do those kinds of things all by themselves. ;)

Reaction score
Making another assumption that she does not own a cat why wasn't a hacker or intruder as reasonable? In fact, with her back door opened anybody could have been tampering with her computer.

It's impolite, however, to disparage someone who is just looking for information. I'm new here, but getting the impression this site is user unfriendly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's impolite, however, to disparage someone who is just looking for information. I'm new here, but getting the impression this site is user unfriendly.

Please don't assume that this site is unfriendly because one person's reply may have been a bit sassy. I assure you we do not put up with any unfriendly behavior or insults. If you have any questions about that, read our community rules which you can find in my signature.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The truth is not unfriendly. I was hoping she would return with more info. All people did here was try and help. That is not unfriendly. But some consider info that disagrees with what they think or believe to be unfriendly even if that info it 100% correct.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.