Repeat updates from App Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Are any other members getting these repeated updates from the App Store or is it just me.

Keynote ver. 6.0.1
Numbers Ver 3.0.1
iMovie Ver 10.0.1

When I click on Software update these updates are forever coming up for all I have already updated them in December.

Is there a way to get rid of these updates repeating.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I did receive the new iWork application updates several times (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) but after that they stopped showing up. The iMovie update only appeared once (large download), thank goodness. I believe it was only a temporary glitch in the system.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply chscag.

This has been going on with me every few days, as I check roughly every two days for updates. If it has been a glitch I'm affraid it may be back again.

I am going to download them again then sit back and see what happens the next time I check for updates. This seems to me to be the only way to clear the updates that appear on the App Store icon.

Many thanks for your reply.

M

MacInWin

I had them when I had backups on external drives that I kept connected. Spotlight had indexed the drives, so it knew about the older versions there. When App Store looks for what needs updating, it looks into the Spotlight database and sees the older versions, so it prompts for the update, over and over, because the older files don't get updated and Spotlight never sees the backups change. There are a couple of things you can do: 1. Open System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy and drag the backup drives to the window and drop them. Spotlight will stop inventorying the backup drives. 2. Delete the backup versions of the software from the backup drives. Spotlight will update, App Store will leave you alone.

The downside of #1 are that searching now excludes your backup disks, which is OK with me and is what I did. The downside of #2 is the older versions are no longer available if you should ever need them. I'm not as comfortable with that setup, so I didn't do that. But it's up to you.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Macinwin.

I've done #1 exactly how you described. I will see what happens in a couple of day's when I do an update search again.

Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.