PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple Adopt Windows?

JeffreyLloyd
02-16-2006, 12:29 PM
What do you think of this article?

The idea that Apple would ditch its own OS for Microsoft Windows came to me from Yakov Epstein, a professor of psychology at Rutgers University, who wrote to me convinced that the process had already begun. I was amused, but after mulling over various coincidences, I'm convinced he may be right. This would be the most phenomenal turnabout in the history of desktop computing.

Epstein made four observations. The first was that the Apple Switch ad campaign was over, and nobody switched. The second was that the iPod lost its FireWire connector because the PC world was the new target audience. Also, although the iPod was designed to get people to move to the Mac, this didn't happen. And, of course, that Apple had switched to the Intel microprocessor.

Though these points aren't a slam-dunk for Epstein's thesis, other observations support it. The theory explains several odd occurrences, including Apple's freak-out and lawsuits over Macintosh gossip sites that ran stories about a musicians' breakout box that has yet to be shipped. Like, who cares?

Full Article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1925239,00.asp

nonameo
02-16-2006, 12:37 PM
would YOU pay the premium for a mac if it ran windows?

hondagus87
02-16-2006, 12:38 PM
would YOU pay the premium for a mac if it ran windows?

EXACTLY!!!

Daniel 1989 UK
02-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Thats not true at all its obviously a rumor.

sevenhelmet
02-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I think it's crap. Yes, Apple will adopt a microsoft system and quit marketing OSX as "The most advanced OS in the world" because they are soooooo interested in helping microsoft and hurting their own market share.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but this one is easy to debunk... The Intel switch was done to facilitate cheaper processor upgrades than IBM. It's simple economics: Intel produces more chips, so they can give Apple the performance boost it wants for less $$$ than could IBM, and IBM wasn't delivering the performance Steve Jobs had promised customers.

And as for the fate of OSX... well why did YOU switch to mac?

MJGUK
02-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Well firstly I don't believe this for a second.
Someone has clearly sat down and decided to prove this theory, rather than coming to such a conclusion off the back of research.

From my POV, my new iMac (new switcher) is only as great as it is, because of OS X.
I mean, ok the computer looks great etc.....but the REAL/MAIN reason I switched was because I wanted to get away from Windows. Steve Jobs is really a lot smarter than to allow/do anything like this.

Furthermore, I would contest the idea that Macs have A) Not steadily increased in sales over the last few years and B) They have not sold more due to the success of the iPod.
Simply put, the growth rates disprove this beyond doubt, but secondly, this growth has occured since the success of the iPod.

I don't believe it for a second and I really hope I'm correct.

antizero
02-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Biggest steam load ever.

timswim78
02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
The main problem with this is article is that it is based on the idea that Mac computers have not gained market share. In fact, the opposite is true, Apple has increased their market share. The estimates that I have seen have shown that Apple increased its share of the desktop computer market from about 3% (three years ago) to about 4.5% (2005).

Graphite
02-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Haha! - Too add to the flaming of this article

ByzantineRemnant
02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Apple's market share has stayed the same, its just that the market is getting bigger, thus they are selling more computers.

A Mac without OSX is like a bird without wings.

mynameis
02-16-2006, 08:34 PM
A Mac without OSX is like a bird without wings.

I concur, OS 9 sucked.

zap2
02-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Wow could anything stupid have been said by that Article?

PowerBookG4
02-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Mac OS X is the reason why we all use macs, the computers.. sure are powerfull, but we could get, or build faster computers...
There has only been 2 virus's ever made for unix operating systems.. one was in 1988 and the other was a week ago.. but that one should not count because your password is required to install it, and if you are stupid enought to install a virus on your computer then you deserve the virus.. so to sum up.. mac os x is not going any where.

dtravis7
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
PowerBookG4, Agreed totally!

OSX is what makes the Mac what it is. Take that away, No one in their right mind would pay more for an Apple box with Windows on it. There would be NO advantage at all to paying more for a Windows box I could build for 1/2 as much.

coach_z
02-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Mac OS X is the reason why we all use macs, the computers.. sure are powerfull, but we could get, or build faster computers...
There has only been 2 virus's ever made for unix operating systems.. one was in 1988 and the other was a week ago.. but that one should not count because your password is required to install it, and if you are stupid enought to install a virus on your computer then you deserve the virus.. so to sum up.. mac os x is not going any where.

i agree with the new MFMOTM!!!

sarahsboy18
02-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Mac OS X is the reason why we all use macs, the computers..

Right on... I like the hardware... But it's all about the software. The beginnings of a successful switch to Intel is an example of how little hardware matters to Apple users. Apple users love Apple because OSX makes their lives more productive and more enjoyable not because of hardware performance. A switch to Windows would be suicide to every Apple as a company has stood for... Steve would be selling out... And I just don't see him doing that. He is great CEO because he actually believes his own BS and will probably do so to the grave. I say good for him... and good for us.

macmini3399
02-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I concur, OS 9 sucked.
Hey now alot of people still use OS 9(Including me). I think it is a great OS.(W00t 70 posts!)

ByzantineRemnant
02-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Congrats, OS9 users are a dying breed.

quanz
02-22-2006, 02:18 AM
the professor should stick to physcology.
users did "switch" and the campaing isnt over, it is hidden behind a differnt switch, the intel one.
the ipod is marketed to the largest demographic(mostly windows users)
the intel switch was made for a reason of enrgy savings and cost effectivness, as well as many other reasons.

applepissue
02-22-2006, 04:15 AM
I think it's crap. Yes, Apple will adopt a microsoft system and quit marketing OSX as "The most advanced OS in the world" because they are soooooo interested in helping microsoft and hurting their own market share.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but this one is easy to debunk... The Intel switch was done to facilitate cheaper processor upgrades than IBM. It's simple economics: Intel produces more chips, so they can give Apple the performance boost it wants for less $$$ than could IBM, and IBM wasn't delivering the performance Steve Jobs had promised customers.

And as for the fate of OSX... well why did YOU switch to mac?

How would shifting to Windows hurt Apples market share?
It's the only way Apple could compete with the likes of Dell.
Surely if Apple was to run Windows, why would you buy Dell? Unless they are heaps cheaper.

But for what its worth i rekon it bull dust

dtravis7
02-22-2006, 04:24 AM
Why? Because OSX is a better OS. If it was not, I would just build my own Windows Boxes and blow all the pre-made systems out of the water which my Windows boxes all do.

fujihatake
02-23-2006, 05:43 AM
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/windows-vistas-worst-performer-windows-vista-156415.php

scooter
02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/windows-vistas-worst-performer-windows-vista-156415.php

now that is funny!

reading through the comments is even better:

I'm a mac user, so I got a chuckle out of this. But I must say, at least it's courteous. My mac just tries to hypnotize me with that "rainbow wheel of death" when it slows down...

Maybe Leopard will have a similar window pop up and say:
"Dear sir, it's time to upgrade to a CoreDuo"

andrewmiller25
02-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Using OS X was the main reason I switched a year ago. It didn't take an iPod or a flashy ad campaign for me to do it either

dicesgary
03-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Mac is doing pretty solid, it is definately selling more computers and attracting more people. Best of the games are also having a mac version (call of duty, sim city, doom 3 etc), plus the new softwares (aperture, final cut studio etc) are more than enough for mac to compete with the windows world. There is no reason why apple would switch to windows. That will be the most foolish thing to do and Steve Jobs is way smarter to even think of attempting it.