Utilizing other-than-iPhoto for photo editing of images originating on iPad.

Reaction score
I want to utilize my PS Elements 11 to edit photos that I import via iPhoto from my iPad. I need some fairly detailed steps in how to transfer my photos from iPhoto to PS Elements 11. I understand that I should be able to go to iPhoto preferences, then Advanced, then Edit Photos, then "in application," and then pick El. 11. However, I am not able to consistently end up with the images in El. 11- or if they are there - where specifically do I need to look for them so I can get them into my organizational tree? At what point in the whole process should I make the new folder for them? I'm thinking there is something in my process I am doing inconsistently. Maybe I'm not even getting them from iPad to iPhoto correctly. Suggestions appreciated.

C

chas_m

If you're syncing your iPad photos with iPhoto, then you are doing this correctly. Set Photoshop Elements 11 as your default "external editor." You can also set whether or not you want a "double-click" of the photos to open the editor or not. I right-click to decide whether I want to edit "in iPhoto" or in my preferred external editor (sometimes Photoshop, sometimes Snapseed).

What happens when you select a photo and opt to edit it in the external editor is that editor should then open and load the photo. You make what changes you want, then save it and (optionally) close the program. The saved photo is then updated in iPhoto. This is great, since you don't have a bunch of copies all over the place -- everything is in your iPhoto library where it should be. No folder creation, no management hassles. They are automatically organized in iPhoto, and your original is still there (just not visible) if you decide later you want to go back to it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for your input chase_m. It was helpful. I would still like to know WHERE to look for my photo when iPhoto sends it to El. 11. Also, I have used El. 11 for a long time and have developed an organizational "tree" that suits my purposes quite well. I don't plan to use iPhoto except as a 'necessary pass-through' from my iPad. At some later point I may use it to utilize iCloud, too. So, this being said, I need to know at what point to create a new folder in El. 11 to house my edited photo. Do I create it in some unusual way? Thanks again for your assistance. I think you have me started on the right track.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Basically you need to choose your workflow. At the moment you're trying to mix two incompatible ways of working **

You either go down the iPhoto route and allow that to manage the workflow. i.e. passing an image to photoshop to edit then saving back into the iPhoto library.
OR
You Manage you're own folder structure and just use Photoshop. You can bring photos in from your iPad using Image Capture. Perhaps consider using Unbound for Mac - A Faster, Simpler Photo Manager as a browser, organiser.
You can still access iCloud photostreams from a folder in finder without iPhoto

** You can have you're own folder structure and point to it from iPhoto but I've found it's becomes very difficult to manage over time.

C

chas_m

mrplow is correct. In a workflow that involves iPhoto you DO NOT want to start messing around with the actual photo files buried inside iPhoto's database package. That's a *fantastic* way to lose photos and destroy data.

If you want to manage photo filing yourself, I'd suggest ACDSee for Mac or one of mrplow's suggestions, or set iPhoto to manage photos without moving them into its own database (which is simple to do, but you have to be VERY careful not to move them ever again without handling that properly, as iPhoto will not know what to do if you move them willy-nilly!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.