Does anyone know what this means?

Reaction score
i just downloaded the program OnyX, as it was recommended by a few people.

This message popped up
"The volume needs to be repaired"
"To repair your startup disk, restart your computer whilst holding down CMD + 'R' and then choose disk-utility.

http://i42.tinypic.com/nbf98w.png

See link above for a picture of the message.

Any help would be great, thanks guys.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What OS version are you running...and did you download the correct version of Onyx for the OS you have installed?

The "command + r" only works for OS 10.7 & above. For 10.6 and below...you need a bootable disk (CD/DVD) to boot from.

The message you are seeing "The volume needs to be repaired."...I think is a pretty generic statement. I believe I get this message almost everytime I run Onyx. Regardless of the computer I'm running it on...the OS version...or the HD.

I think that Onyx defines "repair" as almost anything from a serious situation to repairing permissions. I would say just run Onyx as is...let Onyx "do it's thing"...and see how things run after Onyx.

If you are able to boot your computer using the "command + r" or from a boot disk...then give that a try as well. Then you run Disk Utility to do repairs.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
What OS version are you running...and did you download the correct version of Onyx for the OS you have installed?

The "command + r" only works for OS 10.7 & above. For 10.6 and below...you need a bootable disk (CD/DVD) to boot from.

The message you are seeing "The volume needs to be repaired."...I think is a pretty generic statement. I believe I get this message almost everytime I run Onyx. Regardless of the computer I'm running it on...the OS version...or the HD.

I think that Onyx defines "repair" as almost anything from a serious situation to repairing permissions. I would say just run Onyx as is...let Onyx "do it's thing"...and see how things run after Onyx.

If you are able to boot your computer using the "command + r" or from a boot disk...then give that a try as well. Then you run Disk Utility to do repairs.

- Nick

Thanks for the fast reply!

Im running 10.8.5, Yeah, i dont think there is anything majorly wrong with my macbook, i just downloaded it to free some space up.

I made a thread yesterday about there being over 200GB of "Other" Storage, so i thought maybe onyx could at least delete SOME of that, even only 20/30GB would be good.

So you recommend i just run onyx's repair thing anyway? without doing the cmd+r thing on restart?

Also, there are alot of things ticked to delete the cache's for. Are there any ones i should un tick?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Onyx uses Disk Utility to check and repair the disk. What happens if you open Disk Utility from Applications/Utilities and run Verify Disk? See if you get that same message.

OP
C
Reaction score
Onyx uses Disk Utility to check and repair the disk. What happens if you open Disk Utility from Applications/Utilities and run Verify Disk? See if you get that same message.

yeah i got a message saying "volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks"

"invalid volume free block count"

"It should be (a long number) instead of (another long number)

Is this bad? what do i do haha :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot to your Recovery partition (command plus r), enter Utilities, Disk Utility, and run a repair on the hard drive. Let us know the results.

OP
C
Reaction score
Boot to your Recovery partition (command plus r), enter Utilities, Disk Utility, and run a repair on the hard drive. Let us know the results.

okay ill do that when i wake up tomorrow morning :)

does the recovery partition require my backup drive to be plugged in? is it related to time machine?

OP
C
Reaction score
Also, when doing the cmd + r thing, do i do this from turning the mac on from being off? or does it have to be from a restart?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do not need to have your backup drive or Time Machine external drive attached in order to check the internal drive with Disk Utility.

Boot or reboot your Mac and hold down the command and r keys as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. Continue holding them until you see the Apple and spinning gear. That will boot the machine into recovery. From recovery enter Utilities and then Disk Utility. Select your "Macintosh HD" on the left side, and then select the repair tab on the right side.

OP
C
Reaction score
You do not need to have your backup drive or Time Machine external drive attached in order to check the internal drive with Disk Utility.

Boot or reboot your Mac and hold down the command and r keys as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. Continue holding them until you see the Apple and spinning gear. That will boot the machine into recovery. From recovery enter Utilities and then Disk Utility. Select your "Macintosh HD" on the left side, and then select the repair tab on the right side.

okay thanks, im going to buy a new external hardrive tomorrow(old one is full) so ill transfer alot of my files off here to that, then ill do the disk repair.

from what i've told you about the error, does it sound serious? or is the information given still too vague without doing a disk repair?

Also, how long does it take approximately?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those errors can usually be repaired by Disk Utility. Orphaned blocks are spots on the hard drive that are not usable for the storage of data because they're not part of the block total count. Disk Utility will attempt to include them and correct the count. That's why it's important to have backups of your data. When the internal hard drive begins to act up, that's time to be extra careful and keep up with your backups.

I recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner in addition to Time Machine to backup your hard drive. CCC backups are bootable whereas those made by Time Machine are not.

OP
C
Reaction score
Those errors can usually be repaired by Disk Utility. Orphaned blocks are spots on the hard drive that are not usable for the storage of data because they're not part of the block total count. Disk Utility will attempt to include them and correct the count. That's why it's important to have backups of your data. When the internal hard drive begins to act up, that's time to be extra careful and keep up with your backups.

I recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner in addition to Time Machine to backup your hard drive. CCC backups are bootable whereas those made by Time Machine are not.

right, im going to go into disk utility mode on startup now.

Also, before i do, after i've done the necessary, how to do i get out of disk utility mode and use my macbook as normal?

Is there an exit button or anything?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there an exit button or anything?

Yes, just exit Disk Utility and Utilities and then select restart. That will boot you back into OS X. It's all very self-explanatory once you see it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Update:

Ran disk utility on start up, repaired disk, everything fine.

Double checked it on the normal disk utility app, everything still fine.

Thanks for all your help everyone, everything went smoothly :)

Do you recommend i verify the disk often? like once a month? this is the first time i have done it in the 16 months i have had my macbook haha.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you recommend i verify the disk often? like once a month? this is the first time i have done it in the 16 months i have had my macbook haha.

Download the free maintenance and optimization tool "OnyX" from here. And run it once a month or so. It will run Disk Utility for you automatically and check the integrity of your hard drive along with the SMART status.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.