Applescript Editor cannot be opened

Reaction score
This morning I moved to the trash bin an icon on the desktop which I had been using for starting Applescript, because I realised there was an icon for it on the Dock. When I used the Dock icon a window listing all the application opened with the Utilities highlighted and a list of all the utilities showing. When I clicked on the Applescript Editor app I got the following message "The document Applescript Editor.app cannot be opened" I then restored the trashed icon but got the same result. I then restored the app from yesterday's Time Machine but still no good. Any suggestions please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Kene - not sure that I can help much; but, is the app still present on your computer (e.g. in the Utilities folder w/i 'Applications')? Try using 'Spotlight' to start the program. Also, right-click on the app's icon and select 'Get Info' to see if any of the settings look incorrect. Finally, logout and then login to another account and see if the program runs. About all that I can offer @ the moment. Dave :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi RadDave,
Thanks for your reply. I have got round the problem but I cannot pretend to understand it all.

Just to recap on what was happening:
1. Open Finder
2. Select Applications
3. Select Utilities
4. Dbl-click on Applescript Editor.app
5. A Window appears Headed ‘AppleScript Editor – Applications’ with the
usual Favorites side panel and a list of application apps.
6. I then selected Utilities and Dbl-clicked on ‘AppleScript Editor.app’ and got the message
“The document ‘AppleScript Editor.app’ could not be opened”.

Today I noticed that after 5 above the top menu showed AppleScript Editor as the current program and selecting File-->New gave me entry to the program. So the message at 6 was logical. I've since discovered that at the foot of the window showing at 5 there is a greyed out button 'New Document' which gives access to the program.

Prior to this, for several days in fact, I Dbl-clicked on an icon and was straight into the app.

Thanks again for your interest.

Ken Ellis

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just to recap on what was happening:
1. Open Finder
2. Select Applications
3. Select Utilities
4. Dbl-click on Applescript Editor.app
5. A Window appears Headed ‘AppleScript Editor – Applications’ with the
usual Favorites side panel and a list of application apps.
6. I then selected Utilities and Dbl-clicked on ‘AppleScript Editor.app’ and got the message
“The document ‘AppleScript Editor.app’ could not be opened”.
I'm a little confused - steps 1-4 make sense but I'm lost at 5. After step 4, AS Editor should be open. What happens after step 4?

Reaction score
OP, what you're looking at is Apple script editor's Open dialog. That is not a Finder window. It wants you to open a script to edit.
New document does exactly that, starts a new document and opens the scripting window.

OP
K
Reaction score
What I cannot understand is why the change? As I have said the first few times I called the AS, I didn't get the Open Dialog box. And why are all the applications listed in it?

Ken Ellis

Reaction score
When you double-click on Applescript Editor is this what you see?
This IS the Applescript Open dialog. You cannot open Applescript Editor by selecting it from this dialog, this is the editor asking you to select a file to edit.
Look in the menubar.

Open 2014-01-06 14-14-09.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The change is because all icons in the Dock are only an aliases, or shortcuts as it were. Removing Applescript made it unable to open as it was just the shortcut to that program.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes cradom, that is what I saw, but I didn't realise what it was. I now know and I am OK. My thanks to all for the help I have received.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would have to guess the icon that was on the desktop was not the Applescript editor app, but was in fact a script.
Hence, upon opening it, it would open that script in the editor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.