I've done it, I'm making the switch.

Reaction score
New guy here, I've just ordered my new mac.

Specifications

* 2.3GHz Dual-core PowerPC G5
* 1GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 2x512
* 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB SDRAM
* 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English
also got the hdtv tuner card.

I've just had it with winblows!! been using it sense 3.1, time for a change. I'll have to say, this is a big buck computer I hope I did'nt screwup. Pro-Con's?? While I can still back out! What do I do with a computer? I guess most would be video,burning movies things like that. I am giving up a sony 3.2 vaio and I hope a lot of software problems.
I'll still be using my HPf1905 lcd monitor, hp 7550 printer, and I hope brand new Xtern sempletec 250 gig usb drive.

Thanks for the comments
Michael
Mobile Al.

B

BoingoBongo

I really don't think you'll have any problems. I'm not an advanced Mac user by any means, but that seems like an amazing setup, and since you got the PPC chip you'll have no problem running just about any software you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Wow, you certainly know how to make the switch in style starfox101! The first two things I would do would be to (1) add another gig of ram in there (check Crucial.com) and (2) buy a better mouse. I personally prefer Logitech mice; check out USB Overdrive and Steermouse, which are programs that will let you control and program the mice. The ram isn't such a big issue, but I like having 2gb in my machines. Plus it's a nice way of future-proofing it; a dual-core 2ghz+ processor with 2gb ram won't go obsolete for a long, long time.

The question isn't so much "what can I do with it?" as it is "what do I want to do with it?" You can do pretty much anything with a Mac:

-storage, organize, edit, and print photos
-buy music, create music, edit music, and burn CDs
-copy, create, and edit DVD movies
-surf the Internet, chat on IRC, AIM, etc., do 2D/3D graphics, etc., etc., etc.

So...what do you want to do with your Mac? That's the question ;)

A

aric149

You'll like it.

I've had my Mini less than a week and am already thinking about getting a older Mac Notebook as a 2nd computer.

Less than a week and the next computer will be another Mac.

This little Mini completly blows away the 2.6GHz Winbox that it replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
The question isn't so much "what can I do with it?" as it is "what do I want to do with it?" You can do pretty much anything with a Mac:

Couldn't of said it better, except for one program on my PC (3D max one day you will follow) I have not had one problem with trying to achieve what I want my Mac to do.

And aric149, good to hear that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Jabjabs said:
Couldn't of said it better, except for one program on my PC (3D max one day you will follow) I have not had one problem with trying to achieve what I want my Mac to do.

And aric149, good to hear that as well.

Yeah, that and Splutterfish's Brazil renderer. What I wouldn't give for that app to be on OS X! Until then, Lightwave will have to do. Luckily it plays nice with BodyPaint, too. I'm hoping VirtualPC for the Intel Macs will come out soon so that I can use Rhino 3D on my Macs. I can't bear to part with my favorite modeler :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.