Home Finance Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What is a good home finance software for Mac?

Hello - there is plenty of information and links given in Bobtomay's post, so should be plenty of information to review before making a choice.

But just to mention one my wife uses on her new iMac (migration from Quicken on a PC - plus I did not want to set up a 'virtual machine' to run Windows/Quicken) - SEE Finance - our needs in retirement are simpler than before - just banking & checking, but other options (investments, etc.) are available. Good luck in your choice - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I use Checkbook. It's fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OK, I am going to throw a grenade (I've posted on this subject many times) so apologies to the group ahead of time.

It does largely depend on what you need, and also whether you've ever used Quicken or even MS Money on the PC, but I have found Finance software on the Mac to be grossly lacking, and I have bought (not just tried) a lot of them, including iBank (2, 3, 4 and 5), MoneyWell, Money, Quicken Essentials, Quicken 2007 (last major Mac release), YNAB, MoneyWiz and SEE Finance.

If you're only interested in tracking checking accounts and maybe credit cards on a Mac, MoneyWiz and YNAB are really nice - Quicken Essentials is neat but expensive (if you can pick it up for $15 it's a better value).

If you really need Investment tracking, iBank or (amazingly) Quicken 2007 are really the only ones that integrate that into your entire financial picture in a usable way - but iBank's reports are awful, especially if you have a lot of accounts and its budgeting is a mess - even the latest version.

If you need budgeting, YNAB and MoneyWiz are nice. MoneyWell is probably the strongest, but you need to use envelope budgeting for it to make sense... and frankly, if you need all of the above, plus connectivity to obscure banks (like Capital One... can your hear the sarcasm dripping off this post?), or multiple currencies, you'll either need to pay iBank's hilarious $40 a year, or take one of Intuit's offerings.

Quicken is actually now the only reason I maintain a virtual machine, and ever since 2006 when I 'fully' switched, I have been waiting for something on the Mac side to meet or beat Quicken for Windows. Nothing has. But your needs might be simpler than mine - take me with a pinch of salt as this has been my Mac bugbear for 8 years.

But... there is light at the end of the tunnel. I can't really say much about it, but there is a NEW Quicken for Mac coming out; the true successor to Quicken 2007, which may very well trump everything out there now - that is, of course, if you want to give Intuit your money.

You can always use a platform-agnostic tool like Mint.com, which is free and can be used on any device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well, for what it is worth I have used Quickbooks for many years. When I moved to mac I decided to purchase Quickbooks 2013 for Mac. Migration went well and while there are some differences, I have found I can live with them.

Now if all you need is a check register balancer Quickbooks is way more than you need. I have to keep records of a variety of information for our farm operation so I found myself migrating from paper records to a farm computer record program to Quicken (which lacked features I needed) to finally Quickbooks. It provides the integration I need for my bank and accountant.

It really depends on what features you need, how much you want to spend, and company updates are desired over a number of years.

I have had the fun of transferring data files from the old software that were not compatible with the new software. This is but another reason I have stayed with Quickbooks but it is not cheap software and their add-ons are pricey.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.