Looking to buy first Mac...

Reaction score
Funds are tight so I found this on Craigslist and was wondering if sounded like a good deal?
Just figured I'd ask here before taking a look at this tomorrow, and maybe someone can tell me what I should be concerned with when buying a used CPU.

For sale (1) used 21.5-inch iMac in perfect working condition. It has been reformatted with a clean install of OS X Mavericks and all software

Physically it is in perfect condition! It passed all 80 tests on the Apple Service Diagnostics CD on 12/4/13 (see screenshot).

Specs:

Model: MC309LL/A (Mid 2011)
Screen: 21.5-inch
Warranty: AppleCare - 7/17/2014
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Operating System: Mavericks 10.9
Memory (RAM): 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
Hard Drive: 500GB
Optical Drive: DVD-RW
Software:
*Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Design Standard (Photoshop CS5, Acrobat X Pro, Illustrator CS5, InDesign CS5)
*Adobe After Effects CS 5.5
*Final Cut Studio 3 (w/ Final Cut Pro 7)
*Microsoft Office 2011
*Final Cut X
*Motion 5
*Compressor 4
*iPhoto
*iMovie
*Garage Band
Included:
*(1) brand new Wireless Keyboard
*(1) brand new Wireless Magic Mouse
*(1) used A/C power adapter
*(1) used MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's the asking price? And take note that all the registered software on that machine unless you're given the original disk(s) and serial numbers, will not legally belong to you.

That particular iMac without the licensed software has a value of around $825 to $850 according to used Mac prices here in the US. I own that exact same machine and can testify that they're great desktops. You're also getting Apple Care until next July 17th which is a bonus. I just had a hard drive replaced in mine and it was covered by my Apple Care. An iMac is pretty much a closed unit and very difficult to work on by yourself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
32gig of ram...Holy Smokes!!!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Asking price is too high for that machine. It only sold for $1199 brand new. Granted, brand new it only had 4 GB of memory but the additional memory in that machine is not worth the extra $ since it's used. And as I advised you previously, the software that he is including will not legally be yours unless he also turns over to you the original disks and serial numbers.

The Adobe software is registered and activated with a specific SN; likewise for Mac Office 2011, same for Final Cut Pro. Apple Care cost for that machine was only $122.00 from B&H, $169.00 from Apple direct.

A brand new Late 2013 iMac 21.5" sells for $1299 (basic model) and $1499 for the fully loaded model.

C

chas_m

Agreed. Without the original disks, that "extra" software will be worthless to you. This is how con artists get people to pay over retail for used machines, since they figure they will get to use the illegal software. In some cases they will -- for a while -- but in most cases they quickly find out it was a "gotcha."

Tell him you'll give him $800 if he removes the third-party software he's not going to give you the original retail discs/registration for, $1000 if he does include original non-pirated discs and registration.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agreed with the above - do not pay them for giving you pirated or illegal applications which you will not own.
You likely won't even own the Mavericks installation he put on it, even though it's free, without doing a clean install - which would wipe out all those other apps he installed on it.

Just as a friendly FYI - "CPU" is not synonymous with "computer".
In the computer you have listed above, this - "Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5" - is the CPU (central processing unit).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.