• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

is ichat really worth isight?

B

blokie

I've got mixed reviews while browsing the net about this and so I decided to come and ask you ppl who have helped me buy me and my gf our first mac's. Now the question is, she's going to school in australia in a couple days and so I'm thinking of buying two isights. the theory behind ichat and video conferencing seems top notch but then reading around I get mixed feelings about this. Does ichat give you top notch quality when video conferencing? And someone somewhere else (so not here) mentioned that you could use ichat for simple chatting with MSN Messenger users? I'm picking my mac up today and my gf has hers in vancouver but I would liek to figure this out so I can buy it before she leaves.

Any ideas about this? I've read from a few ppl here that there are multiple applications they use in order to do certain things (transfer files, chat, video conference etc) but not one does all of this decently, or worth 200cdn/isight?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I use my iSight with iChat rather extensively and I love the clarity, smoothness and quality of it. I have never had a problem or complaint with it. In my opinion, if you want the best video conferencing, the iSight/iChat combo is what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
iSight is a good camera. A bit pricey though, but good for the money if you use it a fair amount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
ichat/isight combo is great. the main thing to ensure is that you both have a nice high speed connection.
yes it's a little pricey but if you need/want to do video confrencing i can't think of a better solution.

OP
B

blokie

thanks for all the replies, I went and ordered two isights for us and a couple .mac accounts but this now poses another problem that you all might be able to help. Now I'm always one that goes by the saying "practice what you preach" but I'm going to admit I haven't looked around the website for the answer to this but she's now concerned how she's going to be able to talk with her parents and/or do the video thing with them. they DON'T have a mac computer, just a pc with a webcam and mic. So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions how to combat this obstacle? I know messenger doesn't allow you to webcam/voice chat oddly considering you can on a pc. But are there any ways around this? I remember seeing somewhere that AOL IM and ichat can sync together? Is this true and/or is this the best route to take?

thanks again.

ps just got the pb this afternoon, phenomenal machine and I don't think I'm ever going to look back at the pc ever again. Thanks again to everyone who has replied making this transition stress-free and smooth.

Reaction score
.... Im still using dial-up....

Can anyone tell me what the iSight would be like on dial up?

Totally useless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
iRock said:
.... Im still using dial-up....

Can anyone tell me what the iSight would be like on dial up?

Totally useless?
Yes it would be useless. You need a broadband connection to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.