Apple TV Question

Reaction score
We currently have Comcast and with their prices constantly rising, I'm looking at other options. If we could get rid of the TV part of Comcast, it would save us some money. So I'm wondering what Apple TV offers. We are sports fans from Nascar to football to baseball. So that's a must along with Create TV, and Fox News. Does Apple TV cover all that or am I asking too much???

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks S.SubZero....I did know that part. Just wondering about the ones I mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The thing is no one but Apple knows what they are going to add but IMO they will continue to add as many as they can get that are in demand.
This year alone they have added more apps than in all the years the product has been out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One problem you will likely have is with sports. Although the ESPN content is there, I can't access most of it because my cable provider isn't 'sited there. Most of the ESPN stuff that's on Apple TV can't be accessed unless your specific cable provider is listed.

I don't think you are going to find most of the things you're looking for unless they are also on services like Hulu+

M

MacInWin

I seem to remember that on my Comcast net, when I activated ESPN, it asked for my Comcast login information to verify I had access to the content. Once it got that data, it was happy to let me see whatever I wanted. I suspect if you drop TV from your service, you won't be able to get ESPN. (And ESPN doesn't show all of NASCAR, Baseball or Football anyway.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you're right. In my case the provider isn't even listed as an option so I can't test it. As far as NASCAR and the rest then you are a bit stuck unless it is carried by Hulu+ or something similar. Either that or going to the various sites and singing up for their streaming packages which might/might not stream directly to the Apple TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Jailbreak the ATV and the world is your Oyster. Honestly, i still think the ATV is the only thing worth JB now, and especially for us Aussies, that get absolute crap on the ATV and no Hulu+ or NetFlicks unless i use a VPN, but then it plays havoc with the rest of my network.

Have a look at what us poor Aussies get Now you can see why we are upset with Apple over the content we get down under :(

10 extra channels and with Disney . . . . I would have my ATV3 on 24/7 if i had access to them. Hmm time to play some (try and work out where i live) with it i think. And the Smithsonian WOW

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking, to use Apple TV as a replacement for cable, you have to be willing to give up certain channels, live sports and news, and much first-run stuff. However, if like me you found yourself watching very little of this sort of thing (or are willing to wait a day for certain shows), then Apple TV + podcasts works out very well indeed in my view.

I cut the cord on cable quite some time ago, and really the main things I miss are Turner Classic Movies and Canada's Knowledge Network. A subscription to Global BBC iPlayer ($80 a year) gives me great stuff I never even had for the most part when I had cable, and podcasts or iTunes purchases make up the rest.

I would estimate I save about $600 a year compared to having cable. But again, I'm not a sports fan and read more news than I watch, so I'm well-suited for this lifestyle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hahahahahah....you got me there 3 Tests and 2 men down...what a nightmare!

Just started on the Bucks Fizz which should take the pain away :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.