new to mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 imac, 3rd Gen ATV, 2011 & 2013 MBA, 2TB Airport time capsule
Hi All,
This is my first post on here, And im using my brand new MBA
ive been reading up lots on here in anticipation of getting my new machine and my first question is,
The OS X on the machine is 10.8.4 mountain lion?? before i get too used to this should i install Mavericks and start learing how to use that or stick with what ive got till im familiar with it, my logic being to use mavericks to save getting used to things that are likely to change with a new OS
your thoughts would be appreciated

paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are some differences between 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and 10.9 (Mavericks)...but it's not like night & day. So there's no real rush.

The only thing I would mention is...if you had software or hardware that was not compatible with 10.9...then upgrading wouldn't be a good idea.

But otherwise...I understand your logic (new computer, new user) so if you feel like doing the upgrade...go for it.:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply,
the only hardware i have is a new apple TV and 2TB airport time capsule i bought at the same time im assuming they will be compatible with mavericks ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yep...they should be.

As far as hardware...sometimes folks have old printers, scanners, etc. They upgrade their computers OS...then realize the old hardware doesn't work.

Sounds like you have nothing to be concerned about.:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question for you nick, I hope you dont mind,

How do i get my email account to work on the mac ive got a me.com email that i use on my phone/ipad ive put my details into the maill app but it just brings up an empty inbox folder ive had a look at the settings and when i try to close preferences it asks to save changes but wont as incoming mail is blank but that box is "greyed out" and i cant input into it
its probably something simple but im very new to the world of mac
thanks for your time

paul

C

chas_m

A "me.com" email address should work fine, all of mine transferred over without a hitch. It sounds like you're adding this account manually which shouldn't be necessary, just use the automatic iCloud import.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.