Excel Data Sort

poc

Reaction score
After working fine for several years, I now get the message when trying a data sort in Excel 2004: "This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized". How can I fix this???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
In the column(s) you're trying to sort you have merged cells that run wider (or have been split) to more than a single column. There's no way excel can tell which column it belongs to and therefore how to sort it.

It's the curse of using merged/split calls for data. The way to resolve it is to remove the merged/split cells in the data you're wanting to sort

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I get the same thing on a monthly ledger file. I use the same template to start the ledger for each month. But when I try to Copy and Paste (values only) the ending balance to the next month's beginning balance, both cells in the same column, that message pops up. The merged cells are obviously identically sized, but it just doesn't work. Sorry, wish I had a solution for you, and for me!

I'm not sure it ever worked for me, but you say it used to work. You could try replacing your Excel plist file, and if that doesn't work, reinstalling the whole program.

M

MacInWin

Usually, the merged cells are there because the text in them goes past the end of the cell and gets cut off, so the user merges the cells to increase the overall size. If you want to eliminate the merges, look for column headers, long text and text which covers more than one column. Select the merged cell and un-merge it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but the issue here is, at the very least, that the error message contains false information. Rather than the operation requiring merged cells to be identically sized, it apparently requires that there are no merged cells.

M

MacInWin

Not really. If the entire set of data to be sorted were merged cells, as long as the cells merged the same number of columns/rows, then it would sort. So the message is technically correct, if typically useless (as MS is wont to do).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know about the useless part Jake. I see where our President just hired the Microsoft Office 365 Guru to fix the broken healthcare.gov site! :p

M

MacInWin

Um, yeah, I noted that, chscag. In the interest of not starting a flame war about either healthcare.gov or MS, I'll try to restrain myself, but it struck me that perhaps MS is not the best place to go to get advice on a massive selling website? Amazon, eBay, WalMart, BestBuy, Home Depot, Lowe's, overstock.com, even Victoria's Secret could be better advisors on how to build a website to handle hundreds of thousands of users simultaneously, sell them stuff and then make sure money/information is transferred. But hey, MS makes a mean operating system, sort of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the entire set of data to be sorted were merged cells, as long as the cells merged the same number of columns/rows, then it would sort.
Weeeell, you forgot to add YMMV.

As I stated in post #6

I get the same thing on a monthly ledger file. I use the same template to start the ledger for each month. But when I try to Copy and Paste (values only) the ending balance to the next month's beginning balance, both cells in the same column, that message pops up. The merged cells are obviously identically sized, but it just doesn't work.

That's one cell at a time copied from one file and pasted to another, both files are from the same template, the cells are in the same column, albeit in a different row, but the row sizes are the same. It doesn't work. I get the same error message as the OP. There are unmerged cells in two columns between the two merged cells, but they are not part of the copy/paste attempt.

M

MacInWin

@toMACsh, My response was about sorting, not copy/paste. I have no idea why you get that error message on copy/paste. From your description, it sounds like a bug in Excel. I quit using Excel a few years ago, and was commenting on the sort issue from my experiences back then. I never had any problems with copy/paste, particularly when it was values only being copied.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.