Turning on Mac Book Air for first time

Reaction score
Along w/ new Mac I bought a hard drive (LaCie) and a Mac Cd Drive. I initially connected the Hard drive to my old PC and it asked if I wanted to transfer my personal files to it in a format common to both PCs and Macs. I did so.
Now i'm ready to turn on my MAC and I want to be sure what to expect ; will it
walk me thru transferring the files I put on my new hard drive;
Will it ask me to check for updates to my Macs IOS
when do I load the Office Mac for Mac software

Bottom line is there a list of the sequence to follow that I can download from somewhere??

EdK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi EdK - welcome to the forum! :) I bought a MacBook Pro in March & an iMac the next month - I just turned on the machines and was taken through a process of setting up the Macs - nothing really scary at all (see HERE for what to expect). There is a 'Migration Assistant' that can help transfer your files, settings, etc. if desired - I only needed my docs/pics/music from my old Dell laptop, so simply put those files into their appropriate Mac OS folders using an external HDD on one & a high capacity USB stick on the other.

Now I'm assuming since this is a 'new' machine that Mavericks (i.e. OS 10.9) will be installed - you may indeed need to do some updates but that process should occur automatically. Also are you planning to use the LaCie HDD for Time Machine (Apple's automated backup program)? Let me stop there for you to review the link given and respond w/ any further questions. Good luck - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.