Which macbook and configuration? - New to mac

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to macforums. Not had a mac before but I am considering switching after disappointments with windows laptops.

I'm not sure what to get in terms of macbook pro or air, and any additional RAM/harddrives etc.

My budget is a maximum of £1000. I tend to use my laptop for word processing, internet, downloading/watching films and music, and some (a very small amount) music and photo editing - currently using Audacity and GIMP.

I work (word processing, reading pdfs) on the train a lot so I need the laptop to be portable. Usually for about 6 hours on and off, not on wifi.

I'm happy to learn to use iwork rather than MS office, but am writing a systematic review this year so will need to manage references ideally using the web version of endnote. Does this work with pages or would it be sensible to budget for office as well?

I'm a student so I think would get the 3 year warranty if I ordered online, but ideally need it to work well for 4-5 years as it's unlikely I'll be able to afford to replace it until I graduate.

At the student pricing the 13" macbook air is £816, 13" macbook pro is £859 and 13" retina macbook pro is £945.

Would appreciate any help - thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the best machine you can afford. However, keep in mind that the Air and retina machines are not upgradeable once you've purchased it. The only notebook computer that continues to be upgradeable is the non retina 13" MacBook Pro which will likely be phased out the next time Apple refreshes the line. What that means is you will need to order those options you feel you need before purchasing. Options such as more memory, larger SSD or hard drive, etc.

As for your question regarding word processing, the iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) is free when you purchase a new Mac. Whether or not you can use Pages to continue writing and for your studies depends on how compatible it is with your current project. Probably a good idea to budget for the Mac version of MS Office just in case.

C

chas_m

The description of your needs suggest that a MacBook Air would be enough for you, but I've noticed a distinct tendency among young switchers to "grow their abilities and needs" significantly after buying a Mac, so you have to account for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
I'd get the 13" MBA and use the leftover money in your budget to get whatever accessories you think you might need - Airport base station, time capsule, external hard drive, sleeve or case, flash drive, optical drive, Thunderbolt cable adapters, etc, etc, etc...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.