Windows on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all.

I've still got a genuine Win XP disc and wanted to know if I could run that on my iMac with Mountain Lion. The reason is that there are a couple of programmes that I want to use that won't run on the mac. Also, if I do get windows on but never use it on the internet, would I then not have to bother with anti virus programmes etc ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've still got a genuine Win XP disc and wanted to know if I could run that on my iMac with Mountain Lion. The reason is that there are a couple of programmes that I want to use that won't run on the mac. Also, if I do get windows on but never use it on the internet, would I then not have to bother with anti virus programmes etc ?

Installing Windows XP under Mavericks is not supported. You could install it in a virtual machine, like VirtualBox. You may be able to run those apps using WINE and skip Windows entirely. Mind if I ask what programs those are?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks for that. I'm afraid you've lost me with mavericks... I'll look it up. The programmes are for model railway track design. One's called Xtrackcad and the other's rail modeller.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've still got a genuine Win XP disc and wanted to know if I could run that on my iMac with Mountain Lion.

No. XP is not supported in Mountain Lion unless you run it in a virtual machine such as Parallels, Fusion, or the free VirtualBox. You can only run Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 using Boot Camp in Mountain Lion.

You could probably run your model railroad programs from a Windows XP virtual machine. The free VirtualBox is easy to setup but has no frills like Parallels or Fusion.

C

chas_m

Mavericks = OS X 10.9, the latest version of the operating system.

You can run XP in a virtual environment such as Parallels, VMWare or VirtualBox if you want, as LIAB mentioned, or in WINE if the program is specifically supported. Also worth checking to see if there is a Mac version or alternative to the programs you're looking to run. Maybe not but worth a look.

I see chscag and I are on the same "track!" :D

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks for your help so far. Now, if I put XP on with virtual Box, will I need anti virus if I never use XP to go on the internet ?

C

chas_m

Your need for anti-virus for the XP install might still be necessary, since it will share the connection the "Mac side" has. Even if you turn that off, it seems to me like that would be a risk to leave the without anti-virus protection -- the internet is the most common, but NOT the only, way to "catch" a virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can however, disable the virtual network card in Virtual box. That way the Windows install will have no contact with the internet or OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. I'm afraid you've lost me with mavericks... I'll look it up. The programmes are for model railway track design. One's called Xtrackcad and the other's rail modeller.

My bad. I meant Mountain Lion.

Regarding XTrackCAD... I see there is a Mac version, but has compatibility issues with Mountain Lion that are waiting to be addressed. There is an unofficial workaround that apparently works. Read more here:
The XTrackCAD Wiki: Using XTrackCAD on Mac OSX

I can't find any Windows software titled "Rail Modeller". The only one I can find is for Mac OS X:
RailModeller

I was going to try the Windows version of XTrackCAD using Wineskin to see if it will work under that, but I can't find a downloadable installer for Windows. The SourceForge repository will only show me the Mac version. Odd.

M

MacInWin

On the virus question, I use Parallels to run WinXP Pro, and back up the virtual image it creates every day. I have no anti-virus on the virtual machine, but if (when) I get an infection, all I have to do is whack the current image and restore from the backup the last un-infected image. Much less painful that putting up with the AV software itself! BTW, it hasn't happened yet because I only go to a very view websites that I trust from WinXP.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, I'm slowly getting my thick head around this.

It looks to me as though I can use virtual box but disable the virtual network card. Could I use a free anti virus programme only on the XP side to be more certain of protection ?

Is it worth upgrading to mavericks ? (now that I know what it is) thanks LIAB.

Can I connect XP to the internet if I disable that virtual network card ?

I've just been looking through the VM Manual and now I'm confused again. At first look, it seems that I simply download it, install it and go from there, but when I read on it looks as though it's not that simple.

Can someone walk me through this install and use procedure.

Sorry to keep asking what must seem like really stupid questions to some of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Eh... no. I'm actually considering rolling back to Mountain Lion. I've never in 10 years as an OS X user actually seriously considered going backwards. Mavericks just feels very unpolished with a lot of changes that are pretty pointless. It still has some lingering bugs that they have yet to address (failing Time Machine backups for example).

M

MacInWin

Curious, that's the first time I've heard about a problem with TM backups. What's happening? I have a ticket with Apple about the fact that with dual monitors if in System Preferences/Mission Control you have "Displays have separate Spaces" checked, you get a black screen when you try to open TM. But if it's unchecked, TM works just fine. But it's only on MY account, not on another virgin one I created to test. So it's something in MY profile or startups, but I've disabled all of the startups and it's still happening. I have a scheduled third call with senior Apple techs tomorrow.

So what's going on with you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Curious, that's the first time I've heard about a problem with TM backups. What's happening? I have a ticket with Apple about the fact that with dual monitors if in System Preferences/Mission Control you have "Displays have separate Spaces" checked, you get a black screen when you try to open TM. But if it's unchecked, TM works just fine. But it's only on MY account, not on another virgin one I created to test. So it's something in MY profile or startups, but I've disabled all of the startups and it's still happening. I have a scheduled third call with senior Apple techs tomorrow.

So what's going on with you?

Constant problems with it not being able to connect to my Time Capsule. It's a well known problem.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23714491#23714491

Another thing that grates my nerves is how you can no longer bring up a list of movie chapters in Quicktime by using CMD-R. That feature has been moved entirely to an icon on the bar with the playback buttons. There's other little things here and there. I'm just not seeing anything about Mavericks to really like.

M

MacInWin

Well TM is backing up for me, I just have to uncheck the box to get to it normally. But I can see on the drive that the backups are happening on schedule. I also use CCC to a different drive for a bootable backup.

Did you note that the OP in that thread fixed his connection with a couple of hard resets on the router and TC?

Is the QT change from the vendor, or did Apple force the change? Seems unfair to blame Mavericks for third party problems.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK so I've forgotten mavericks... not difficult with my memory. Should I just go ahead and download and install VM ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Right, I'm slowly getting my thick head around this.

It looks to me as though I can use virtual box but disable the virtual network card. Could I use a free anti virus programme only on the XP side to be more certain of protection ?
The vm only exchanges data the outside world and OSX via the network card. If that's disabled nothing gets in or out unless mount a CD/DVD or USB drive

Some have specific issues with it, I've encountered a wifi disconnect issue every now and again but TM is rock solid (though I use a directly connected external drive not a time capsule). I'd say don't upgrade if you don't have a reason. It's free, you can do it any time.

Can I connect XP to the internet if I disable that virtual network card ?
No.
You seem quite focused on malware and viruses. Your described uses are minor. I'd install XP and some free AV. Once XP is installed, fully update it. If you are further concerned use Malwarebytes Antimalware once a week, once a month and if you no longer need connectivity after you've updated xp and installed your apps just disable the network card. You can always re-enable it.

I've just been looking through the VM Manual and now I'm confused again. At first look, it seems that I simply download it, install it and go from there, but when I read on it looks as though it's not that simple.

Can someone walk me through this install and use procedure.
Apologies if this covers some/all of what you know.
A Virtual Machine (in this instance) is a piece of software that imitates real hardware.
Virtual Box presents the illusion of PC hardware (processor, memory, disk space, graphics card, network card etc) to any software that's installed on it.
So you download, install and run VirtualBox.

The first thing you need to do is put your XP disc into your Mac.
Choose to create a new Virtual Machine and follow the install wizard through. It will ask how much memory to allocate to the hosted operating system (XP in this case), how much disk space etc. It takes you through the process and it's quite straightforward tbh.
Once the VirtualBox wizard finishes the VM will restart and will begin the XP install process, which you'll have seen before.

Once done you'll be prompted to load some application extensions in VirtualBox for XP. These just help manage the VM. By letting your mouse pointer behave correctly when jumping in and out of the window etc. Install these (it's a one time thing). Now you have XP running inside VirtualBox as a VM. Just like any other application. You can run it in a window or full screen.
You close XP when you're done as you normally would on a real machine (Start - Shutdown etc). When you want to 'boot' XP next time just start the VM from within the VirtualBox app.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aaah, now it's getting clearer. Thanks for that explanation. No need to apologise, everything you told me is new to me... a real computer simpleton.

So... deep breath. I install VM, put the XP disc in and install it (will it automatically go to the VM programme?). When I want to use it, open the VM app from finder and close it just like a windows machine, which will then leave me back with Mountain Lion.

Have I got it, or is it not sinking in ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
close :)

I install VM, put the XP disc in and install it
Yes, but you install it by choosing to create a new VM from within Virtual Box

which will then leave me back with Mountain Lion.
Mountain Lion runs all the time. VirtualBox is just an application with Windows running 'inside' it. You can jump between the two as easily as you'd go from email to a web browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a tiny screenshot but this illustrates what I mean.

VirtualBox running XP in a Window on my Mac

Photo 12-12-2013 09 43 24.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.