New(ish) to Mac and the Forums

Reaction score
My very first computer was an Apple ][ and then because of work and everyone else I knew, I went to a PC and have been there until now. Now I have "inherited" my daughter's MacBook because we got her a Pro for college. I want to clean it and reconfigure it for me instead of the middle-school kid who used to own it, but I feel pretty clueless as to how to go about it.

I'm used to getting into the bones of computers using a command-line interface; I've got an Ubuntu VM running on my PC at home.

I don't know why, but I feel intimidated by this Mac for some reason.

we probably DON'T Have the original boot disk for this machine. If there is some way to make a bootable USB, I could use that.

I appreciate any help and advice.... thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this the white plastic Macbook? Since it's working click on the Apple in the Top Left corner and on about this Mac. What all does it say there for CPU. RAM and OSX version?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.