3G data card recs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just looking in to 3G/GPRS data cards for my mac powerbook.

I only need to use it on occasional weekends, on our boat that we've just bought.

I've had a look at vodafone's website and ebay. I think I've concluded that its not really worth getting a contract card which costs about £60 to buy and the lowest monthly contract is £29.38 per month which includes 250mb of data. Which is probbers a bit too much money to spend per month, if I'm only going to use it every other w/e or so.

The other option is pay as you go, the card costs £199 from vodafone or from ebay £60-70. The charges are £4.00 per mb. Now I don't think I'll be downloaded a lot of data - but occasionally I may need to do some work and send large files. I don't really know how much data I use in my leisure time (which is mainly what I'd use the data card for).

I've not really looked at other companies - not sure who the best ones are (I've always be more than happy with vodafone on my pay as you go sim for my mobile). And I don't think anyone else is compatable with Macs?

Does anyone have any opinions or recs on other competitors - or indeed offer any advice on anything I've overlooked as I'm not really technical minded.

Thanks very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.