new to mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
Howdy folks

I'm new to macs and just picked up a new MacBook Pro retina and an apple display. Been a windows user for decades and so far I'm kicking myself in the you know what for not considering mac's a decade ago. I'm an amateur photog and over many years have accumulated thousands of images and have struggled with organization of these files for the past 10 years...

I did it in an afternoon with my macbook and aperture....

I'll have lots of dumb questions so be prepared :D

First thing I did was create a user account with no admin privy so I don't delete things that shouldn't be deleted. After all, my motto in life is "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is" ;D

cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Newest Mac Mini
Welcome.
Im new as well, (was a 13 year Windows user) and I too have many "dumb" questions that will need answering.
I also work with digital images & photos, and I can tell you that you're going to LOVE working on a Mac.
I know I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,
I too used windows for years up until around late 2011 when a friend of mine gave me an old ibook laptop running os x tiger after i almost destroyed the laptop i had that was running windows vista, he said here try this and see what you think. i saw how nice os x worked and it didnt do anything stupid like windows always does and i was hooked, i now have a early 2006 imac and a 2008 black macbook, converted my mom to mac as well...she is using a 2009 mac mini and always says how much more pleasant working on the computer is. you will never return to a windows machine and os x is so much more user friendly than windows...

C

chas_m

Welcome and congratulations!

While I am happy that you are enjoying the machine, creating a "user" account for yourself is a good example of "stinkin' Windows thinkin'" that came with you from your previous machine. It's really not necessary (and in a real-world sense, kind of a PITA) to limit yourself with a user-level account. When you feel comfortable, upgrade yourself -- you'll be glad you did.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I whole heartedly agree with you chas. But what takes me back, is that even MacWorld in a recent issue recommended creating a limited account for every day use.

They also ran a article several issues ago recommending that buyers of Apple desktops (mini and iMac) not bother purchasing Apple Care. If I had paid attention to that, my recent hard drive crash on my 21.5" iMac would have cost me a $275 repair bill instead of the free replacement, parts + labor.

OP
scoocum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
I did buy AppleCare for my phone and macbook! Seemed like too good a coverage to pass up. As for the user account, I think I read that online. I'll probably switch my account to admin at some point because I do have enter in admin passwords quite often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.