Safely Closing Out USB Ports

Reaction score
I am using a new Macbook Air and am using the usb ports to run an external cd drive, as well as an external audio interface. My question is, how do I safely eject these devices, as they do not show up on my desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
External drives/USB thumbdrives etc need to be ejected to prevent possible data corruption by just pulling them out. Your audio and cd drive(unless you're playing a cd or importing into iTunes) aren't transferring data, so you can just unplug them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is, how do I safely eject these devices, as they do not show up on my desktop?

Open Finder, select Preferences, select the General Tab, place a check mark in the boxes that show external devices. And then follow directions as given by member MightyGem. If those boxes are already checked and your devices are still not showing up, then you have other problems.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Closing USB port connections

I am using a new Macbook Air and am using the usb ports to run an external cd drive, as well as an external audio interface. My question is, how do I safely eject these devices, as they do not show up on my desktop?

Go to a Finder window, select preferences and Under general set up as shown. This way your peripherals will show up on your Desktop and you can Eject them by Right Clicking each one and selecting eject. Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 2.49.47 pm.png

M

MacInWin

But again, if there is no disc in the external optical drive, it won't show up, and doesn't need to be unmounted. And non storage devices also don't need to be unmounted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.